Author Topic: My new lix graphic set  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
My new lix graphic set
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
Here is my new graphic set. The puzzle world pack consists simply of jigsaw puzzle pieces as terrain, which in my opinion has never been seen before in Lemmings or Lix.
But it's not just that, I have also decided to build a new trap to add to the many Lix traps. That probably isn't quite as innovative, as this has been derived from the infamous laser beam but still, it can burn your Lix if they get too close to it. Let's see what you think of this graphic set (Along with the two exclusive levels) and if there are any queries I'd be happy to help.

Edit: I have (hopefully) fixed the problem for both levels.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:45:28 PM by Prob Lem »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: My new lix graphic set
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:18:41 AM »
Welcome to Puzzle World: excellent level, perhaps my favourite of all your levels so far, took me a while to figure out the trick I needed.

Scalding hot water: first part was simple and repetitive, but it took more thought than I expected to find a good method for the second part without running out of builders. In the end, though, my solution was a lot simpler than some of the things I had been trying The level would look much better if you used the marble hatch and exit.

I like the tap-and-water object a lot; sometimes the lasers just don't have enough of that classic Lemmings feel to them.

Not enormously keen on the puzzle pieces. They work well in the Puzzle World level, but they're not versatile. Combining them wrongly, as you've done in your other level, looks odd. Maybe this is an argument for incorporating "special graphics" levels into Lix?

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:46:39 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:21:54 AM »
Not enormously keen on the puzzle pieces. They work well in the Puzzle World level, but they're not versatile. Combining them wrongly, as you've done in your other level, looks odd. Maybe this is an argument for incorporating "special graphics" levels into Lix? :P

Well, maybe I should create a different (and a simpler) design for those puzzle pieces? I may still keep the ones I already have.

Scalding hot water: first part was simple and repetitive, but it took more thought than I expected to find a good method for the second part without running out of builders. In the end, though, my solution was a lot simpler than some of the things I had been trying :P The level would look much better if you used the marble hatch and exit.

I tried to think of a hatch and goal for the puzzle set, but I sort of run out of ideas. I did try to make the hatch look like this, but the goal I thought had no relevance on anything puzzle-like.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Your hatch and goal look fine -- they're just not a good match for a level that's almost entirely built of the marble terrain.

Yes, if you made a simpler design, such as a constant texture, so that any protrusion could fit into any hole without looking strange, then it would be interesting to build new levels with the set -- and you could still keep your "puzzle world" pieces for this level. But that's just my opinion and you shouldn't give it too much credence :)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
I forgot about looking at this set after you made this thread ages ago , sorry.

Anyway , just checked it out and I think its really nice to see another tileset.  The pieces snapping together is great, and makes sense being puzzle shaped :)

The tap and water is awsome.    :thumbsup:

This should be added as part of the full lix download in future.

Hopefully more people start creating tilesets for lix.   :thumbsup: