Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 168129 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »
Quote from: Clam Spammer on 2012-01-18 23:06:11
'Death Slide' is totally new (even to the IRC), I expect the likes of geoo, Simon and ccexplore to figure it out, otherwise don't panic too much if you can't solve it . (edit: reuploaded, removed a digger)
Solved the diggerless version.  I still have a leftover skill, but I'd like to think I'm at least pretty close to your solution.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:06:06 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 09:52:21 PM »
Actually that's pretty much it. The miner (and runner too ;)) were just extra skills intended for distraction. I wanted to add a bunch of other skills as well, but most (including the digger) made other solutions possible, or were obviously useless (climber/floater), so I decided to take them out rather than make the level look ugly with extra traps or whatever. At this point, I should just remove all unneeded skills and leave it at that.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »
I tried to remake Ball Pit from my levelpack, but I ended up with a new level. (Is the time limit too restrictive? My best time leaves five seconds to spare...)
I had over a minute to spare, not sure if I might have backrouted it though, my solution is attached. (edit: also see ccexplore's comment below ;))
That's not quite a backroute; that's just I apparently don't have the save requirement high enough to force saving the lemmings in the pit. It's possible to save 16 with only one lemming in the pit; maybe raising the requirement to 17 (and adding another climber, because it's possible to end up with three in the pit) would do it?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 01:56:36 AM »
I'll add these new levels to the list when you think they're final if you don't mind.
"Top Gear" should be fairly close to final, barring no backroutes in the current 640x400 version, and no strong requests for further changes to the visuals.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »
Huh. Turns out that, if you hit exit on the Linux version and say you want to save without having a filename in, Lix freaks out, doesn't save, and stops responding to commands completely.

Anyway, here's the idea that I was trying to implement with the level I lost to that bug. It's a bit trivial, but it could be made less so with the right level design.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:07:05 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
Noted the bug, will add a check!

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »
here's two levels. (there essentially the same as the ones I made in Lemmix)
this was sort of a test for me. I really like the wrap around function.  Has anyone used this to the full yet? (I haven't played a lot of levels yet. and I think that "catch and release" is hard btw, of course I haven't spent a lot of time on it). I love lateral thinking puzzles like that [if that's what u call it]

Is it alright if a level is loosely based on one from a game?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »
Here's my solution for Roundabout. I could've saved time by timing that one builder better, but I didn't feel like re-recording.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:07:35 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
for some reason I can't view replays downloaded here. there's a red ex sign on the menu when I select it and nothing happens when I press "replay".

anyway here's another. <spoiler> I tried to make this one a 'misdirection' level. Anyone who plays it tell me if it, if it works that way and of any back routes. I'm not a good judge of my own work.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 10:23:07 PM »
Progress report:

* The Cheapo game runs fine on Natsuki (my current computer). So, I have access to all my old levels, and I don't really need the editor -- as they will all have to be rebuilt from scratch anyway, loading them in the game and sketch-mapping them on paper should be good enough. However, it would definitely be useful to have the editor.

* Editor isn't working. It will open, but when I try to open a level (or start a new one) I get this error: "Level Editor Crash Info: Cannot Create Primary Surface". I tried re-downloading the wledit2.cfg file ccexplore posted in my previous diagnostic topic, but no joy.

* Lix doesn't seem to be working; I just get a black screen when I try to load it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 11:09:11 PM »
Your current computer runs Windows XP or higher, right?  I seem to recall that way back when you were active, the computer you ran Cheapo on was running Windows 98.  In particular I'm not sure how much Lix has been tested on anything besides XP and Windows 7.

Anyway, let's start by gathering a little more info with dxdiag.  On XP, go to the Start menu and find "Run" near the bottom-right of the menu.  Then type "dxdiag" (no quotes) and press Enter to launch the program.  Click "Next Page" to go through each page; if a page offers buttons for testing certain features, click on them as well.  After you go through everything, click "Save All Information" to save the info it gathered into a text file, then upload the file here as an attachment.

On Win7, go to the Start menu and just type "dxdiag" (again no quotes) on the Search box at the bottom of the menu and then press Enter.  It should launch the program.  Do the same as above.

[EDIT: in case the program crashed or get stuck in the middle of its operations (unlikely but you never know), I suggest you do whatever you need to prepare for that possibility before you run dxdiag.  Just in case.  Don't want you to have to reboot and lose something you didn't save for example.]

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 11:34:01 PM »
Okay, here is the dxdiag file.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 12:12:45 AM »
I was able to extract the Windows downloadable afresh here and run it successfully in Wine (on Linux).

Try these random ideas:
  • Run it with the -w switch to get windowed mode, i.e. lix.exe -w
  • Run it as administrator.
-- Simon

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 06:07:59 AM »
for some reason I can't view replays downloaded here. there's a red ex sign on the menu when I select it and nothing happens when I press "replay".

The level's filepath gets saved along with the replay, so you need to either use the same filepath as the person who made the replay, or edit the filepath entry in the replay. To avoid this problem recurring, I suggest anyone downloading levels from (or making levels for) this topic should store them in levels/single/lixlfpack.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »
anyway here's another. <spoiler> I tried to make this one a 'misdirection' level. Anyone who plays it tell me if it, if it works that way and of any back routes. I'm not a good judge of my own work.
Misdirection? How so? Seems more like crowd control to me, but mine might not be the intended solution. (also, I'm doing the /lixlfpack thing now)