Author Topic: ClamLix  (Read 90855 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: ClamLix
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Hmm, good to hear you're fixing your levels now already, although I kinda fear that any replays made with the current version are bound to get disturbed by changes in later versions.  I found that between the late Sept version and the version from last week, a few of the replays for Clam's levels that I first posted were already broken on the last-week version.  Oh well, I guess it's an acceptable and inevitable risk. :-\

(To be fair this is no different on other updatable IRS's like Clones for example, I've had the same thing happen to me on that game a few times.  especially RAGE when it occurred on "Project Orion" from that game, right at the start of the level!)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:46 AM »
Yes, replays will not work forever, even if the general idea of the level will still work. With focus on multiplayer, bugfixes, and physics that feel good all around, there will always be some changes over time.

This is the main reason I point to L1/Lemmix for really serious challenges, because conditions are clear-cut with those games, and pixel-precision achievements/ideas will remain the same for years.

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 09:17:22 PM »
Yep, I've had experience with replays breaking too. It's possible to keep older versions of the game so you can go back and see those replays, though I don't organise my files as well as I could :-\.

As for challenges, I'd love to see these in Lix eventually, maybe even tracked in-game (the standard things like most rodents saved, fewest skills used, least time used). But until the game (and the levels themselves!) reach a stable state, this isn't really practical.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
I remade most of the levels from my ClamSpam05 pack. Some are straight rebuilds, others have been changed to varying degrees (including titles), but all should be immediately recognisable :).

Two levels that didn't make it:
- 'Fill the floor' doesn't work as I'd like, due to the slowness of bashers in this game.
- 'Circus lemmings in training' relies on the DOS digger mechanics; Lix mechanics allow you to leave a ledge (the sort that lets you solve 'We all fall down' with 2 diggers), which makes it rather too easy.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 11:42:57 PM »
Those 'fatal' backroutes may not be fatal after all :). The attached .zip contains new versions of 'Stall Tactics' and 'Two bridges, too far', plus two more Lemmix remakes.

For 'Stall Tactics', I added a section of thin terrain and lowered the time limit, to prevent solutions that involve splitting the merged lixes by assigning the bomber to one of the middle lixes, and also added hatches next to the exit to force the releaserate down and make the solution more comfortable to execute (without these you'd have to assign within the first couple of frames, which isn't fun).

For 'Two bridges, too far', I upped the lix count so you can't just sneak through the required number before the gap closes, and reconfigured the rest of the level to force the use of both blockers, as well as making the solution easier to execute (without going into any more detail so as to avoid giving hints :P).

edit: Added another 5 levels - 3 remakes and 2 new.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »
Here's another eight levels, including two remakes and one sort-of-remake (actually based on one of my challenges for the Tame levels).

'Chaos Theory' is a totally luck-based level, I don't consider it a good puzzle (or indeed a puzzle at all), but I like the idea so I decided I'd throw it out there anyway :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »
Chaos Theory has 0 exploders. :) Bomb squad has a time limit. :>

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:48 PM »
1) Correct :) (edit: well not really, it has 0 exploder2s, which is quite different to 0 exploders)
2) Correct again. I just had a bit of discussion with geoo about this, I may reconsider time limits at some point in the future. This might even be worth a new topic :)

EDIT: re-uploaded the levels, I left a dumb backroute in 'Things can only get Batter'

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 10:16:06 AM »
Here's another 9 new levels. This set has some of everything - remakes, flinging, batting, and even a couple of tributes to L1 glitches :D. And no time limits, so even Simon can play them! :P

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 02:52:14 AM »
I'm reuploading all my levels again so they can be included in the next official download, which I'm assured will be out soon. My Lix level collection is now approaching the size of a full game (though not quite on the same scale as Rubix's - yet ;)), so I've organised them into ratings:

Humane - Levels that I consider to be as hard as, or easier than, the original Mayhem/Havoc levels.
Arcane - Solid levels, mosty harder than the original games.
Insane - My best levels, some of which are harder than writing the game itself :P
Flingsane - 'Where it depends on the physics', levels that utilise the flinging ability of exploders.

Again, there are a lot of changes, as I'm constantly refining my levels. Notably, all but five levels now have unlimited time available :). Even if you've been playing my levels up to now, it's probably worth taking another look. All comments and suggestions are welcome. I'd be particularly interested in things like visuals (no reason why the levels shouldn't look nice as well :)), misrated levels, and of course backroutes. Replays should wait until the new version is out, otherwise they'll likely break.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
Oh yay, you actually have a mac executable up now. (The normal one didn't work on Wine...)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
I hope no one minds if I hijack this topic for a while - no one else is using it, right? :)

The attached .zip contains all the levels I've made since the last full rated release, 18 in all. Six of these are new, detailed below; the rest are buried somewhere in the Community Set topic.

'Canyon Canon' is flower-rating, the layout is based on one of my L3 levels.
'Dig This', 'Flotilla' and 'Mental Block' are straight remakes (more or less ;)) of my Lemmix creations.
'Runner Stunner' was in my set earlier on, but I took it out to refine it some. I like it very much more now :)
'Square Squabble' is a semi-remake of my old 'Square Route of Lemmings', it probably has as many brickroutes as Brickout, but I can't find them just now, so I'll include it and see what happens :P

Once the new version is out, I'll reorganise my levels (notably, some require a minimum spawn rate to prevent backroutes) and do a full release.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »
All right, as promised, here's a new full release of my levels to date, 83 levels in all. The rating system is the same as before, with the addition of a separate rating for the Flower (easy) levels. Sadly I've had to drop a couple of fling levels ('Long Jump' and 'High Jump') because they didn't work at all well with the new physics, but those aren't finalised yet so the levels may return at some point.

All feedback is welcome ;)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
I'd like to comment on this, because it seems not many have, but I'm still working on your Lemmix levels. All of which are very nice [and hard].
I think you should do a few for the community set. You could always include them in your own as well.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »
I think you should do a few for the community set. You could always include them in your own as well.

I don't know if it's the final plan, but at least for now, I believe Clam's sets are already bundled as their own sets in Lix, so it would be totally redundant to have a level in both his set and the community set, as you'd end up with same level in two places.