Author Topic: ClamLix  (Read 90856 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
ClamLix
« on: May 07, 2011, 10:48:19 AM »
Welcome to Clam's level pack for Lix!

A full-game-sized pack of 100(ish) levels.

Current work-in-progress version (Zip)
View on GitHub

Feedback, records and backroutes welcome (the latter not so much! :lix-tongue:)

I'm regularly on the Lix IRC chat (largely timezone/weekend dependent): irc.quakenet.org/#lix

See TameLix for even more levels!

Ratings:

Humane: Simple warm-up levels with abundant skills, and medium-difficulty puzzles.

Humane 1: All Filler, No Killer

Arcane: Hard puzzles, on par with the hardest from the original Lemmings games.

Arcane 1: Lord of the Rungs (also has 10 imploders - not pictured)

Insane: Super-hard puzzles to make you rip your hair out!

Insane 1: Made to (mis)measure (also has 3 imploders - not pictured)

Flingsane: Levels that use the flinging aspect of exploders, with a separate difficulty curve. (Levels in other ratings may allow flinging, but only these levels require it.)

Flingsane 1: BEHIND YOU

(original Flingsanity attached for posterity)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:50:11 AM by Clam »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
Re: ClamLix
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »
General Lix/L++ posts have been split into a separate thread.

Continuing the huge wave of Lix activity (what with the rabble topic and more late-night network games), I've been making levels too. :)  The attached .zip contains eight new SP levels. The first three use fling bombers again, and the other five levels use the new batter and cuber skills.

(edit: modified levels 3 and 8 )

(edit2: levels 2 and 4 are currently affected by glitches, hopefully these will be fixed soon. In the meantime, try to solve these without using glitches :))
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:16:24 AM by Clam »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »
Another 4 levels here. Three are remakes of my early Lemmix/Custlemm works, and one is completely new. Also, they are difficult: one level has been praised as "possibly the greatest level ever made", and another as "harder than writing the game itself". These statements may or may not be exaggerated somewhat (they're from Simon, I never can quite tell :D)

EDIT: no downloads? :( Anyway, added another set of 5 levels: 4 remakes and one new.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
Well, I'm finally back.  If someone can point me to the latest Lix that I can download and install (email or PM me if needed), I'm happy to give your reputedly awesome levels a try. ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:34:16 AM »
http://asdfasdf.ethz.ch/~simon/download.php

There might be the occasional level that is currently unsolvable due to recent physics changes (fire and water trigger not only when they touch it with the foot, but right now also with the eye), but the vast majority of levels should do.

We are happily waiting for you in IRC. :)

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 12:48:11 AM »
The following are unsolvable due to the change Simon mentioned above:
- Redlined
- Turning the Screws
- From the Brink (not included in the above packs, but I shared it over the IRC).

I won't try to fix these until we reach a decision on whether the change is good or not, and thus choose to keep it or change it back. Though I like the change myself, it doesn't make sense for the lix to survive a laser beam through the head :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »
Fun levels! :thumbsup: I still have plenty yet to finish, attached are solutions/backroutes so far.

I have 2 quick rages so far wrt the current version of Lix for SP mode (it's possible they only reflect my ignorance of certain aspects of the program):

1) inability to find out how many lixes have already come out is annoying.  It's often useful to have the last lemming out of a crowd to do something, and if that something involves assigning a skill soon after it lands (eg. bomber timing), it's highly preferable to know w/o manual counting how many lixes are already out (and therefore how many more will enter, to better anticipate the entrance of that final lemming).

2) probably more the fault of the framework/libraries you're using, but in windowed mode under Windows, if I alt+tab to switch to some other program and then alt+tab back, keyboard input usually stops working (mouse input still fine though), requiring quiting the program and restart to fix.  And of course, w/o keyboard input, I'm not sure how to quit besides killing the program in Task Manager (the close button on the upper-right of the windows frame is disabled).

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »
1) was casually suggested by geoo or Clam, but now I'll definitely put it in soon.

2) is very annoying, yeah, I'd love to remedy this sometime. In some cases, hitting Enter, Alt, or Tab again may work around the problem.

The exit button might actually start to work after the next few updates, we'll test when geoo compiles on Windows. Shift+ESC will always terminate from anywhere, bypassing also the data loss question of the editor.

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 06:16:37 AM »
attached are solutions/backroutes so far.

Ahhhh :( A couple of those are terrible, possibly fatal backroutes. Somehow or other these weren't picked up on by my beta testers (aka. IRC folk, who get sneak previews of my new levels ;)). But still, I'm glad you like them, and I'm impressed at how quickly you've worked out the new skills - are you sure you haven't played this before? ;P

Once the current wave of mechanics changes is over, I'll fix up my levels (as much as I can at least :-\) and upload them all in one pack.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »
Ahhhh :( A couple of those are terrible, possibly fatal backroutes.

Sorry. :evil: Did that by chance include either the "possibly greatest level ever made" or the "harder than writing the game itself" level? :-\

and I'm impressed at how quickly you've worked out the new skills - are you sure you haven't played this before? ;P

Well, there's this game called "Lemmings 2", you might have heard of it? ;P

There was much talk of clubbers already even on the rabblebox here, so I have a pretty good guess what that's like even before ever seeing it.  The cuber is probably the most unique skills in Lix so far.

Anyway, 4 more solved.  Hopefully this time none are backroutes......

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »
Sorry. :evil: Did that by chance include either the "possibly greatest level ever made" or the "harder than writing the game itself" level? :-\

Nope, those two are included in the last 4 you just posted :D

Your replay for 'FALL AND DIE' fails for me, the lix digs into the rock creating an overhang so the climbers fall down. But anyway, it's clear you've found the trick to that level, and not backrouted it. 'Lix recycling plant' needs a little more tweaking, but otherwise those solutions are fine :)

Well, there's this game called "Lemmings 2", you might have heard of it?

Well I was mostly talking about the cuber, and how the lixes climb up through a cube as it's being made. This is a good mechanic for MP (otherwise you'd end up with lixes stuck in terrain all the time), but in SP it makes it very hard to make cuber-stacking puzzles without forcing the player to use this 'trick' (which looks glitchy in a way, and IMHO shouldn't be the main use for cubers). Hence, 'possibly fatal backroute'. :(

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 09:11:56 AM »
I got busy and distracted from your Lix levels much of the past week, but I found some time to solve two more tonight (attached).  Pretty confident neither are backroutes.

This leaves "Run around the block" and "Called in the Wrong Squad" as the only two solvable levels left, unsurprisingly both are cuber levels. I think I have a pretty good sense on the former (well after all, the skills given really don't give you much options to consider); less sure about the latter at this point.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:52:30 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 05:49:21 PM »
If I have the time and desire, I might try and remake some of my really old Cheapo sets for this pack, perhaps re-writing some of them to make use of the new tasks and physics available in the game.

I'll also try and come up with some unique levels for this game, also -- the more levels that come with the game at release, the better.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »
I've gathered up all my levels so far (minus the fatally-backrouted ones), fixed the ones that needed fixing since the physics changes, and built some new ones too. Here they are, 33 levels in all.

The following levels are new to the forum:
- A step two far?
- Builders without borders
- Builders without borders - insane
- Compression method infinity
- CubeOut
- From the Brink
- House of Horrors
- The turnaround compendium
Also renamed 'Freefall' to 'Skyline skydiving'.

Please put the levels in /levels/Clam; the filepath is stored in replays so this saves me having to fix all the replay files I get :XD:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »
Please put the levels in /levels/Clam; the filepath is stored in replays so this saves me having to fix all the replay files I get :XD:

Hmm, I need a hash-based system. Any cheap programmers around which I can hire for 1 lunch? >_>

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Hmm, good to hear you're fixing your levels now already, although I kinda fear that any replays made with the current version are bound to get disturbed by changes in later versions.  I found that between the late Sept version and the version from last week, a few of the replays for Clam's levels that I first posted were already broken on the last-week version.  Oh well, I guess it's an acceptable and inevitable risk. :-\

(To be fair this is no different on other updatable IRS's like Clones for example, I've had the same thing happen to me on that game a few times.  especially RAGE when it occurred on "Project Orion" from that game, right at the start of the level!)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:46 AM »
Yes, replays will not work forever, even if the general idea of the level will still work. With focus on multiplayer, bugfixes, and physics that feel good all around, there will always be some changes over time.

This is the main reason I point to L1/Lemmix for really serious challenges, because conditions are clear-cut with those games, and pixel-precision achievements/ideas will remain the same for years.

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 09:17:22 PM »
Yep, I've had experience with replays breaking too. It's possible to keep older versions of the game so you can go back and see those replays, though I don't organise my files as well as I could :-\.

As for challenges, I'd love to see these in Lix eventually, maybe even tracked in-game (the standard things like most rodents saved, fewest skills used, least time used). But until the game (and the levels themselves!) reach a stable state, this isn't really practical.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
I remade most of the levels from my ClamSpam05 pack. Some are straight rebuilds, others have been changed to varying degrees (including titles), but all should be immediately recognisable :).

Two levels that didn't make it:
- 'Fill the floor' doesn't work as I'd like, due to the slowness of bashers in this game.
- 'Circus lemmings in training' relies on the DOS digger mechanics; Lix mechanics allow you to leave a ledge (the sort that lets you solve 'We all fall down' with 2 diggers), which makes it rather too easy.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 11:42:57 PM »
Those 'fatal' backroutes may not be fatal after all :). The attached .zip contains new versions of 'Stall Tactics' and 'Two bridges, too far', plus two more Lemmix remakes.

For 'Stall Tactics', I added a section of thin terrain and lowered the time limit, to prevent solutions that involve splitting the merged lixes by assigning the bomber to one of the middle lixes, and also added hatches next to the exit to force the releaserate down and make the solution more comfortable to execute (without these you'd have to assign within the first couple of frames, which isn't fun).

For 'Two bridges, too far', I upped the lix count so you can't just sneak through the required number before the gap closes, and reconfigured the rest of the level to force the use of both blockers, as well as making the solution easier to execute (without going into any more detail so as to avoid giving hints :P).

edit: Added another 5 levels - 3 remakes and 2 new.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »
Here's another eight levels, including two remakes and one sort-of-remake (actually based on one of my challenges for the Tame levels).

'Chaos Theory' is a totally luck-based level, I don't consider it a good puzzle (or indeed a puzzle at all), but I like the idea so I decided I'd throw it out there anyway :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »
Chaos Theory has 0 exploders. :) Bomb squad has a time limit. :>

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:48 PM »
1) Correct :) (edit: well not really, it has 0 exploder2s, which is quite different to 0 exploders)
2) Correct again. I just had a bit of discussion with geoo about this, I may reconsider time limits at some point in the future. This might even be worth a new topic :)

EDIT: re-uploaded the levels, I left a dumb backroute in 'Things can only get Batter'

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 10:16:06 AM »
Here's another 9 new levels. This set has some of everything - remakes, flinging, batting, and even a couple of tributes to L1 glitches :D. And no time limits, so even Simon can play them! :P

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 02:52:14 AM »
I'm reuploading all my levels again so they can be included in the next official download, which I'm assured will be out soon. My Lix level collection is now approaching the size of a full game (though not quite on the same scale as Rubix's - yet ;)), so I've organised them into ratings:

Humane - Levels that I consider to be as hard as, or easier than, the original Mayhem/Havoc levels.
Arcane - Solid levels, mosty harder than the original games.
Insane - My best levels, some of which are harder than writing the game itself :P
Flingsane - 'Where it depends on the physics', levels that utilise the flinging ability of exploders.

Again, there are a lot of changes, as I'm constantly refining my levels. Notably, all but five levels now have unlimited time available :). Even if you've been playing my levels up to now, it's probably worth taking another look. All comments and suggestions are welcome. I'd be particularly interested in things like visuals (no reason why the levels shouldn't look nice as well :)), misrated levels, and of course backroutes. Replays should wait until the new version is out, otherwise they'll likely break.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
Oh yay, you actually have a mac executable up now. (The normal one didn't work on Wine...)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
I hope no one minds if I hijack this topic for a while - no one else is using it, right? :)

The attached .zip contains all the levels I've made since the last full rated release, 18 in all. Six of these are new, detailed below; the rest are buried somewhere in the Community Set topic.

'Canyon Canon' is flower-rating, the layout is based on one of my L3 levels.
'Dig This', 'Flotilla' and 'Mental Block' are straight remakes (more or less ;)) of my Lemmix creations.
'Runner Stunner' was in my set earlier on, but I took it out to refine it some. I like it very much more now :)
'Square Squabble' is a semi-remake of my old 'Square Route of Lemmings', it probably has as many brickroutes as Brickout, but I can't find them just now, so I'll include it and see what happens :P

Once the new version is out, I'll reorganise my levels (notably, some require a minimum spawn rate to prevent backroutes) and do a full release.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »
All right, as promised, here's a new full release of my levels to date, 83 levels in all. The rating system is the same as before, with the addition of a separate rating for the Flower (easy) levels. Sadly I've had to drop a couple of fling levels ('Long Jump' and 'High Jump') because they didn't work at all well with the new physics, but those aren't finalised yet so the levels may return at some point.

All feedback is welcome ;)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
I'd like to comment on this, because it seems not many have, but I'm still working on your Lemmix levels. All of which are very nice [and hard].
I think you should do a few for the community set. You could always include them in your own as well.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »
I think you should do a few for the community set. You could always include them in your own as well.

I don't know if it's the final plan, but at least for now, I believe Clam's sets are already bundled as their own sets in Lix, so it would be totally redundant to have a level in both his set and the community set, as you'd end up with same level in two places.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
I'd like to comment on this, because it seems not many have, but I'm still working on your Lemmix levels.

ccexplore addressed your other point already, but as for this, I think you'd be better off to move on to my Lix levels now, for the following reasons:

- I've remade about half of my Lemmix levels for Lix, so you won't miss out on those ones anyway.
- I'm still refining my Lix levels, unlike the Lemmix packs which, by and large, I haven't done much with since releasing. This means (hopefully) fewer backroutes, and also means feedback for the Lix levels will be much more valuable ;)
- Lix has better game mechanics and usability features, so it's more fun to work with :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Played the first half of Arcane now, solved numbers 1, 4, 7, 9. (I had previously solved 12, but the new minimum spawn rate invalidates that.) I assume the levels aren't meant to be in difficulty order within the set? There are some nice levels here, but rather too many annoying ones, especially with batters and cubers, for my liking. :P Also, sometimes your background colours, especially on Mental Block, are really jarring and that just stops the levels being fun to play. Still, I like the puzzles and I'll keep trying to solve them....

Why does it have my name in the top corner of "Builders without Borders"?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »
Thanks Proxima for taking the time to play and comment on these :)

Solution to Altitude Training attached. Assuming this is roughly what you intended, then this should probably be in the next category up.

Ooh, I didn't expect anyone to try and go over the top of the stone like that. It wasn't even possible to do so until I made a late change to the level, moving all the terrain downward to give more room at the top. Yours is still fairly similar to the intended solution, but overcomplicated somewhat.

"Called in the wrong squad" was tremendous fun. I saved 67.

Interesting, I seem to recall ccexplore struggling to even solve this one :D

Also, sometimes your background colours, especially on Mental Block, are really jarring and that just stops the levels being fun to play.

It's supposed to be mental :P. The game would be dull if you didn't have some bright, colourful levels every now and then. What's the use of having background colours if you can't have a little fun with them?

Why does it have my name in the top corner of "Builders without Borders"?

That's a bug in the current version of the game, just try to ignore that for now :)

I assume the levels aren't meant to be in difficulty order within the set?

Well... actually they are :-\. This is why I need feedback on the levels, since it's awfully difficult to judge the difficulty given I know the solutions.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 11:39:24 PM »
"Called in the wrong squad" was tremendous fun. I saved 67.

Interesting, I seem to recall ccexplore struggling to even solve this one :D

"Struggling" is too strong a word. :P It was more like I breezed through the rest of the levels (of the ten or so you released way back at the start of this thread, and admittedly I backrouted a few of them), and then left with one or two that seems like it'll take some time to work through.  And then got distracted with some other stuff and haven't looked back.

I actually don't remember anything about that level anymore, I see that I muttered something about cubers the last time I said anything about the level.  Sadly I don't see myself having a lot of time in the near future to play anything, but if I do I'll give it a look again.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Quote from: Clam Spammer on 2012-03-09 15:34:57
Well... actually they are . This is why I need feedback on the levels, since it's awfully difficult to judge the difficulty given I know the solutions.
Ah, okay I've solved 3 and 6 now and they weren't that hard, though the precision needed on 3 was annoying. Still, 2 and 5 are nasty ones of the type that look impossible until you find the idea, which can easily leave players sweating for ages, whereas 9 was straightforward multitasking with a little precision, not difficult at all with Lix's replay abilities. And 7 was pretty gentle as bomber timing levels go -- I found the bomber timing level in Humane, "The Endless Steps", harder than this one -- though I did just get lucky first try with no-one going into the laser trap in the bottom-left.

EDIT: Finally got Wall Crawler

EDIT: Got 10 It was just getting down onto the leaf of the middle flower that was the tough part, the rest was straightforward enough.

EDIT: Got 11 and 12 12 only needed one more idea on top of my previous solution.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:53:46 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »
Here are three new levels I've built in the past few days, all using the ever-versatile concrete terrain. One easy, one medium-hard and one hard, there's something for everyone here :) (put them in /single/Clam for now, I'll rate them later on)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:23 PM »
here's a replay of throw the switch. I didn't use all the skills.

so far I'm playing through Humane and they are all of similar difficulty imo. I can't yet imagine what your hardest difficulty is like. 

called in the wrong squad. Do I have to 'fling' the lemmings up to the exit? I ask because honestly, this is the one (and basically only) new skill of the game I don't really care for.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:54:33 PM by Prob Lem »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »
That's an awesome solution to Throw the Switch 

No, Wrong Squad doesn't involve flinging. I have to say I agree -- I'm not a big fan of batters and fling bombers because it's so much harder to work out where you can reach and where you can't. That's also true of jumpers, but to a lesser extent; besides, they open up so many new possibilities that I'm very glad they're in the game. Especially the jump-climber, which is awesome.

I've attached a replay for Wrong Squad, saving 72, five more than before.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:55:13 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »
here's a replay of throw the switch. I didn't use all the skills.

Nice! :thumbsup: Somehow I never considered using the batter to fling multiple lix at once, but it's still essentially an extension of the regular solution, so I'll leave it in.

called in the wrong squad. Do I have to 'fling' the lemmings up to the exit?

Nope, I just use the fling-bomber here for the larger explosion crater. Of course, the fling is still there as a side effect :P. All levels where you have to use flinging to your advantage are in the Flingsane rating.

I've attached a replay for Wrong Squad, saving 72, five more than before.

Good work :). I don't know what the maximum possible is here, or indeed for my other levels (besides the obvious 100%-required ones :P). I'm quite looking forward to doing challenges on the Lix levels, including my own :D. That'll have to wait until the game is in a 'finished' state though...

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »
Here are two new levels I've built in the past week or so.

'Interval Training' is exactly as its title suggests, a simple miner level involving manipulating the spawn interval.

'The Dugout' is a tricky puzzle using the three permanent skills (climber/floater/runner). If you have the first version that I posted on the IRC (it fits in one screen), it has a horrible backroute and you should redownload immediately. :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »
I've now beaten five more levels in the Arcane set -- 5, 13, 16, 19 and the surprisingly easy 23. "Records" added to above post, though of course I've only completed them once and not yet tried to save as many as possible.

13: probable backroute, when the crowd landed on the platform just right of the exit, I made one a runner then blocker to turn everyone else round. I didn't need to do anything with the lix from the right hatch (indeed, I waited until they were all out before starting work).

16: fairly straightforward, I just made bridge walls to hold the crowd. Should come much earlier in the set.

19: Beautiful puzzle, really enjoyed solving this one even if my route needed a couple of precision moves. Replay attached.

I've had at least a look at all the remaining levels -- I think I know how to do 14, just don't feel like doing it at the moment. The others just look out of my depth -- even 8, which is the only one remaining in the first half of the set.

EDIT: Improved 23 to 100%.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Proxima, and great timing too - I just got back to working on my levels again (and even built some new ones, see below :)).

13: Took me a while to figure out what you did here (your description misses some important steps at the start), but I think I see it now. I might use a climber to make absolutely sure only one lix can get out from the left side.

16: I thought this one was fairly demanding execution-wise, which is why it's quite far down the list even though the concept is simple.

19: I like that solution, it's very different to anything I though of myself. There's heaps of ways to do it (my usual method is to use both cubers at the start), that's really the point of this level.

As for 23, I decided to put the two 'tribute' levels at the end since they are of a different style, not sure what to do with these really.

Attached are two fairly simple fling levels, Coming Unstuck and Another Trick in the Wall. The title for the latter may not be final, since the 'Wall' reference is a bit cliche :P. I shared another level on the IRC a while ago too, but I'm not quite satisfied with it yet.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »
I shared another level on the IRC a while ago too, but I'm not quite satisfied with it yet.

All right, all it needed was a small tweak to remove a couple of unwanted (though not terribly bad) solutions, title suggested by geoo, and there we have it - Shopping Cart Race! :D

And another simple fling level, Extension Cord.

(edit: levels removed, go down 2 posts)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
Beautiful and really fun levels!  :thumbsup:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26:28 PM »
Minor changes to Shopping Cart Race (more buzzsaw!) and Extension Cord (more lasers!), in response to replays from here and the IRC. Thanks for the quick replies, it really helps :)

And Proxima's solution to Dugout is exactly as intended, well done! :thumbsup:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »
Here's a fix to Lazy Gypsy Bums, with the runner replaced by a climber. Plus another new level, Lord of the Rungs. 8)

For Shopping Cart Race, it turns out that the original line of three traps isn't needed any more - their purpose is to stop you from simply building over to the other platform and turning back, and the new trap does that perfectly fine too :). I won't post a new version just for this, since it makes no difference to the solution (at least I hope not :P).

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »
Here's a new Flower level, Bucket List. The cheesy titles just keep on coming :P, and just maybe the difficulty of these levels is creeping up a little.

Also, I finally got around to using the new level ordering list feature, which means no more need for prefixes on the filenames (eg. 2m-lazy-gypsy-bums.txt) to coax them into the desired order. It's now much easier to re-order the levels too :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »
Nice level. I have a fun challenge for it, as well: 100%, 2 of each skill.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
Cool challenge :thumbsup:, this is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see from the Flower levels. Attached my replay.

I've made a bunch of refinements to my levels lately (not just the new ones), so I might do another full re-release soon. I'm short on decoration ideas for some levels, but I don't want to put off a release because of that. What I do want to do though is have another look at the level order, and the number of levels per rating - currently they look rather uneven, not sure of the best way to deal with that.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
And here's my replay 8)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »
Well, I did pretty much nothing on these since the last post, and I'm not envisioning much progress in the immediate future, so I'll just post it as it is now. The attached file contains 94 levels.

Added levels since last release:
Flower: Big & Small, Bucket List
Humane: Interval Training
Arcane: Urban Ledge-end, Shopping Cart Race, Lord of the Rungs
Insane: Made to (mis)measure, The Dugout
Flingsane: Coming Unstuck, Another Pick in the Wall, Extension Cord

Changes to existing levels:
Abridged Version - moved the tree left to make it more useful
The Turnaround Compendium - added sloped terrain at the bottom, needed due to diggers not turning on steel any more
The Endless Steps - added 10 bombers, added diagonal blocks in the middle to reduce the number of bombers needed
Throw The Switch MkII - replaced the saw trap with a holding pit, added a saw to prevent another backroute
The Pits - renamed to Underbelly
Catch Your Death - left wall moved across, one jumper removed
Hidden Springs - added jumpers, which may help depending how you try to do the level
Flotilla - spaced out the level more to make execution easier
Sand Me Down - replaced non-free trees with umbrellas (the palm tree graphic was found on the web, and thus may not be public domain and shouldn't be used)
Crevasse - slowed SI from 60 to 70
Square Squabble - reverted to a single entrance, slowed SI from 20 to 40 (hoping this doesn't cause problems, I forget the exact reason for the dual-entrance setup I had before)
From the Brink - added more space at the top to aid execution
+ other purely aesthetic changes on some levels

Needs decoration: Run around the block, Urban Ledge-end, Tribute to Sliding, Lord of the Rungs

Other notes: Added level ordering text files, some minor changes to level order, plus a description text file (text displays in-game when you navigate to levels/single/clam/).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2012, 10:49:07 PM »
Changes to existing levels:
Throw The Switch MkII - replaced the saw trap with a holding pit, added a saw to prevent another backroute

was that my solution/backtoute? 
I've been playing your levels on and off btw. There's no feedback because I haven't solved any yet. :XD:

I forget what that title was a reference to. For some reason It makes me think of a combination of "push the button, Max" from the Amazing Race and Mmmkay? from Mr. Mackey/South Park.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2012, 01:14:43 AM »
was that my solution/backtoute?

Nope, I fixed that one already by forcing a fixed spawn rate. The new trap was to prevent you from blocking everyone under the entrance and batting to the left, which would get you across to the left side of the level. I've changed it now, by moving the platforms around so attempting to do this lands you in the laser trap instead :). Also added traps on both sides of the exit, to prevent the 'master batter' route (bat at the bottom of a fall to prevent splatting), which I somehow missed despite abusing the trick on other people's levels :P. New version attached.

The title is copied from one of my L2 levels (as with Wall Crawler), it's not intended as a reference to anything in particular.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Oh... I was going to say that the "master batter" route can still be done; then I notice you refer to traps on both sides of the exit, and these aren't in the version contained in Simon's download, so clearly that's still the old version of the level.

New challenge: Bridge Burnout, 100% with 2 of each.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
The download should have what geoo and Clam agreed upon for inclusion. If there are newer versions, post a complete archive of your set, and I'll put it into the next release.

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »
Also, now that the levels have been updated with new filenames and my nice column of ticks is all gone, that made for the perfect opportunity to revisit the Humane levels to improve my number saved. I've added my new records for these to the main Lix: Maximum Saved topic.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2012, 01:00:52 AM »
Done the first half (13 levels) of Arcane now. Yes, including Loose Ends, which had me stumped before  :thumbsup: Is this the way I was meant to do it?

Skipping Stones is really annoying me -- it's easy to beat, but very hard to get the maximum possible. So far, I haven't even been able to equal my previous record of 74, and even if I did, I wouldn't be at all certain whether it really is the maximum (whereas I'm pretty certain about all the other levels so far -- at least, unless any of them have a drastically different solution I missed).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Somehow, I got up at a ridiculous hour this morning as I just couldn't sleep, and I solved the next six levels of Arcane in a row! (You could say... I did six impossible things before breakfast!) But is this solution intended?

EDIT: Done all of Arcane!  :thumbsup:  Maximum saved results added to the main topic -- I've put Skipping Stones as "74?" since if the level hasn't changed, my previous record should still be attainable. But I'm damned if I can see how. This one is really infuriating.  :'(

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »
Is this the way I was meant to do it?
But is this solution intended?

Nope and nope :-\. Something for me to chew over next time I go to work on my levels...

I've put Skipping Stones as "74?" since if the level hasn't changed, my previous record should still be attainable.

The only difference I can see from previous versions of the level is that the spawn interval has increased, from 28 (formerly RR50) to 32 (RR42 under the old scheme), which surely shouldn't decrease the maximum saveable count. I don't recall any mechanics changes that would affect this level either. I'll try it now and see what I can save :)
edit: confirmed 74 possible :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 12:59:47 PM »
Improved to 75  :thumbsup: And I feel pretty sure this is the maximum now.

How about my other records -- did any of them manage to surprise you? Any that you know are improvable?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »
Nice work! :) There are indeed some other levels I'd like to mention:

Square Dancing: Not listed in your records, so I'm guessing you got 100%. I found a 100% version a while back, but then I (somewhat intentionally) broke it by raising the start platform. I'm not surprised it's still possible though - some relevant physics might have changed since then too.

Called in the wrong squad?: I tried it just now and saved 74 without doing anything special :)

Interval Training: My replay from testing saves 358, I didn't try to fully optimise though.

Mental Block: I'm aware from the Lemmix version that you can save more than required, but I never tried myself (on either game) due to the tedious nature of that method.

A Step Two Far: I seem to recall geoo finding a 21/22 solution, I can't find the replay though.

Also, obligatory mention: try (fl)in(g)sane ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »
Improved "A step two far" to 100%  8)

Solved "Called in the wrong squad" with 6 bombers + cubers, but it still only saves 72. I think I'm on the right lines and it's mainly a matter of improving the timing -- I'll have to come back and have another go. I'll put your 74 on the list, of course; looks to me like this is the maximum.

Yes, omitted levels always mean 100% (unless it's an entire set that isn't on the list yet). If I haven't yet set a record for an individual level, I list this as "??", like the last level of Rubix's Perplexing.

13/16 on Mental Block is much easier in Lix since you can text-edit the replay. It's debatable whether this is cheating, but I take the view that -- as with the glitches on original Lemmings -- the purpose of the challenge is to save the maximum possible, so any method that works (for the specified game and level) is legitimate. And as you say, it can be achieved without this method, it's just more tedious.

I will eventually try to work my way through Insane, but no promises about when. I have very little time at the moment as Mother's been taken into hospital. Also, when I do get back to Lix, I want to have a go at Rubix's last set and the remaining community set levels next, since I've been neglecting those for a while now.

I have to admit, I'm rather apprehensive about Insane, considering that the one level I've solved so far (Beaten into shape) is nightmarishly hard to set a maximum record for. It's one of those levels, like Hail 6 or "Compression Method Infinity", where there's a clear theoretical maximum, but no guarantee that it's achievable, so you just have to keep trying until you either achieve it or give in. For "Beaten into shape", the theoretical maximum is 49 (losing just one to the trap) and I've reached 48, so I feel it should be possible....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »
Text-editing replays is perfectly legit, it's one of the benefits of using a human-readable replay format. I'd even put such functionality right into the game (graphical user interface to shift/edit the replay's individual commands). However, that would take a lot of time to reach the craftiness of text editors, and it's usually unnecesary if we already have savestating.

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
I'm starting to feel some motivation to work on this set again. Partly in case someone on Youtube finds this game and decides to Let's Play it (;)), but mostly because... well, it's about time, dangit.

Watch this space. but don't get your hopes up too high because I have a bad tendency to suddenly go off an idea once I tell everyone about it

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 08:05:25 AM »
Sweet progress! Never mind that I'm supposed to be making progress on something else. My motivation works in mysterious ways :P

Here's the current work-in-progress version. I'll update the linked file rather than continue attaching files to posts.

Here's the list of changes since the last update. I'll log changes in textfiles rather than clog this page with notes. New levels are always worth a mention though, so here they are:
  • Fill the Floor (Arcane): a fun, simplified remake of my level for Lemmix.
  • Globe of Death (Flingsane): Fence with fling bombers. I posted this on the IRC some time ago but it didn't make it as far as the forum.
Also, thanks to whoever kindly translated my intro text into German, which I just noticed :D

(edit: changed topic post to fit)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2013, 02:38:40 AM »
Well....got rid of my old post
i've seen this turned from lemmings to its own series(I like that)
but i'm not shure if i can find the time play this
because of well
New computers/hard drives
and ive been to busy doing other things *Cough*Pokemon*cough* & High school
but when i find the time i'll play Lix

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
UPDATE TIME! :D

Just one new level, but heaps of improvements to existing levels. Mostly decorative. :)
  • Dig Deep (Humane): like a digger tutorial, but harder!
Download (version 29/4/13)
Changelog

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2013, 05:20:24 AM »
Quote from: Clam Spammer on 2013-12-02 00:25:26
I could remake [Switchback Symmetry] in Lix with the steel pipes (which I would have by now if it weren't for the main one-way wall being so awkward to substitute).
Here it is, with a new title as well!

Replacing the one-way walls turned out even harder than I expected, but I found something that works (I hope) and makes for a nicer-looking skill count as well . Note that the save requirement is also lower: 14, not 15.

(edit: it occurs to me that a timed bomber at the end of the level is a bad idea and not the point of this puzzle - will fix for the next version)

As for the levelset as a whole, I've been working on it on-and-off since the last update (mostly minor improvements to existing levels) so I'll try to post a new version soon.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:56:34 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2013, 07:52:08 AM »
UPDATE TIME!

Now with 100 levels, hooray! 8)

Download (version 9/12/13)
Changelog

New levels:
  • Abridged Version (Flower) - same title but completely different level!
  • Korean Border Crossing (Humane) - based on the old Abridged Version.
  • Pachinkube (Humane) - quick-thinking cuber level, see if you can do it without pausing! :P
  • Abridged Inversion (Arcane) - Like Abridged Version, but with the hatch and exit switched!
  • Switchback Mountain (Insane) - as in the above post, minus the bomber timing.

I'm looking at making more easy levels next. I don't want to scare off the new players too quickly :D

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
Nice you are keeping things up to date Clam. 
I'll be going over all mine in the future again at some point also,  to keep things up to date with any new physics changes.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 03:07:52 AM »
Quote from: irc
[04:59:59] <Clam> I will consider ClamLix truly "finished" at 150 levels. 5 ratings of 30 
[05:01:46] <Rubix_> :D 
[05:06:39] <Clam> quite ambitious considering I've had basically no level ideas for months

I've never really had a master plan for this pack. Up to now, I've just built levels whenever inspiration struck, and thrown them in the pack where I thought they fit. Partly this has been out of fear of promising something and not delivering. But then, a lot of us here seem to do that, so I thought I'd give it a crack :D. Will this pack be done before ISteve11, the community levelpack, or Lix itself? Stay tuned to find out!

This move is inspired by the singleplayer solve race concept, which I hope to contribute to. It's the perfect excuse to pad my pack with easy levels :P, besides the already glaring need for a difficulty curve to avoid scaring new players.

Here's the plan:

- The pack will be called ClamLix (surprise!) because "Clam's levelset for Lix" is rather long-winded and not at all catchy :)

- 150 levels, in 5 rhyming ratings of 30:
  • Mundane (formerly Flower): one training level for each of the 15 skills, and 15 10-per-skill levels like the existing ones. Equivalent to Fun - Tricky rating. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm lining these up for you all to race on, so take note ;). These won't be released until they are done, beyond the 7 already out :).
  • Humane: Taxing-Mayhem level - or, if you're familiar with my custom levels, about on par with ClamSpam05, which currently comprises nearly half the rating :)
  • Arcane: Mayhem+
  • Insane: Mayhem++, featuring family favourites like FALL AND DIE, Lix Recycling Plant and From the Brink.
  • Flingsane: Separate rating for levels that focus on the fling-bomber skill. Other levels may feature fling-bombers, but only the ones on this set will require you to use the fling mechanic to your advantage.

- Non-Mundane levels will go up as I build them, first on the IRC and then here.

- I'll show progress in my signature text, until such a time as progress becomes embarrassingly slow. (From this point on, I mean.)

tl,dr: I've added 6 levels in the past 20 months. How long do you think it will take me to build 50 more? ???

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 03:53:15 AM »
about 8 years?
JK.  Good luck with the project.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2014, 01:05:44 AM »
I received some complaints about a change I made to Called in the Wrong Squad - namely, removing the platformers to leave only cubers for terrain addition (and increasing the remaining skills to compensate). So I've decided to keep both versions as separate levels! The 'new' level is now called Send in the Square Squad. I've also widened the platforms, changed the colours, and used the full height of the screen (which somehow I overlooked before).

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:57:40 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2014, 07:42:38 AM »
Set Fire to the Rain

It's raining Lix! And fire! And... flaming lix?
Rating: Flingsane

(I intend to introduce all new levels in this way)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:58:21 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
It was fun and annoying at the same time.   
A good concept

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2014, 08:08:32 PM »
(I intend to introduce all new levels in this way)

What, by playing an Adele song? ;P

One of these days I'd have to re-download Lix and try some of this stuff out, or failing that, at least watch someone else's replay of levels like this.

Having an entire rating devoted to flinging is an interesting risk.  Hopefully Simon won't need to tweak the mechanical details of that in the future.  Keep in mind that if there ever arises a strong need to do so for multiplayer reasons, it will most likely be done trumping any compatibility concerns for existing singleplayer levels.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »
It was fun and annoying at the same time.   
A good concept

Annoying is unacceptable. I'll change it. Both you and geoo went for a solution that demands extra precision with the bombers, but the level shouldn't lead the player into this. I can't do this level without pausing - that in itself is a red flag.

This level got overcomplicated rather quickly while I was building it. I have an idea to undo this though :)

Having an entire rating devoted to flinging is an interesting risk.  Hopefully Simon won't need to tweak the mechanical details of that in the future.  Keep in mind that if there ever arises a strong need to do so for multiplayer reasons, it will most likely be done trumping any compatibility concerns for existing singleplayer levels.

I know this already, having been burned early on. Besides the two deleted levels mentioned there, I don't believe the levels depend too much on the details of flinging (blast radius, direction and speed). I don't consider it any more 'risky' than other skills - consider the recent work done to make Lemmini levels work in Lix, effectively due to physics changes to the original 8 skills. And other designers (most notably Rubix) have made fling-bomber levels too.

Quote from: ccexplore
What, by playing an Adele song? ;P

Coming soon: the blocker tutorial level "Turning Tables" and the L2 Classic remake "Don't You Remember" :D

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »
Due to a combination of this, this, this and probably some of this, ClamLix hasn't gone anywhere in the last month and a half, and likely won't for a while either. Consider it on hiatus. :(

However... before the move, I made a few Mundane levels with the intention of hosting a race when the rating was done. You can have them now instead :). Four are single-skill tutorials (making a non-trivial tutorial for runners is hard by the way!), and the other is an upsized version of my section of the Collaborative Puzzle.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2014, 05:55:19 PM »
good little tutorial style maps  :thumbsup:

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2014, 06:49:40 AM »
Yes! These are exactly perfect. Although the first umpteen Lemmings levels get a bad rep for being tedious, they do a very good job of introducing the player to the game. We shouldn't expect everybody who loads up Lix for the first time to be a Lemmings expert, so I really quite like these levels for introducing the basic concepts with minimal extraneous distractions.

What's especially cool is that these tutorial levels don't say they're tutorials. You can just load it up and figure it out without having read an instruction manual. I think I mentioned "hidden tutorials" in irc. This is that.

My favourites are the bang levels and the climber level. The climber one not only teaches what a climber does, but also where it fails (at an overhang). Maybe you could have another tutorial level just for the fling aspect of bombers? Since I know that's up your alley :D. A clarification between how small bombs don't fling and big bombs do would be nice -- that confused the heck out of me when I first played Lix.

The Diagonal dig/construction level has an overwhelming amount of stuff on it for an early tutorial level. But I get the sense that it's in a different tier...?

Too Long; Downward Reduction (edit: TLDR): awesome job,  :thumbsup: The whole set of skills would be awesome squee!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2014, 10:07:55 PM »
Thanks NaOH for the vote of confidence! I had a feeling I was on to something good here, but now I'm certain.

My line of thinking was, Simon and geoo are building explicit tutorials, so I should approach it from a different angle. These levels also gradually introduce - again, without saying so - other elements like splat falls, traps and time limits (which the other levels won't have ;), but you can't really make a runners-only level without).

New players will probably discover flinging on Big Bang, because if you don't get the solution straight away you'll more than likely fling someone by accident. Here (as in other levels like Wall Crawler) flinging is something to be avoided, in contrast to the Flingsane levels where you exploit it to your advantage.

And the construction level is a bit much, but it's a fine line between that and not enough! Needs a rethink...

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2014, 02:58:15 AM »
Yes! These are exactly perfect. Although the first umpteen Lemmings levels get a bad rep for being tedious, they do a very good job of introducing the player to the game. We shouldn't expect everybody who loads up Lix for the first time to be a Lemmings expert, so I really quite like these levels for introducing the basic concepts with minimal extraneous distractions.

What's especially cool is that these tutorial levels don't say they're tutorials. You can just load it up and figure it out without having read an instruction manual. I think I mentioned "hidden tutorials" in irc. This is that.

that's a good summation. I must agree. Clam seems very good at making levels like lhis.  :thumbsup:
and levels that do not rely on tough precision. Unfortunately many that I've played  look like they do at first or have such backroutes. But oh well--they're still good

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2014, 05:59:11 AM »
Update for inclusion in the next Lix release.

Changes:
- Beach objects (3 levels affected)
- Added in levels that weren't included in the previous Lix releases (doesn't include the one I made from part of the Collaborative puzzle, but I do have plans for that :))
- Lots of minor changes to levels
- Changed the description textfile (_english.X)
- Removed numbers from folder names and used _order.X instead
- Updated _order.X within ratings
- Updated author's name in all levels 8()

Notes:
- The Plan still stands, whether or not I have time/motivation in the near future to implement it :)
- I've found a couple of backroutes but haven't fixed them yet.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »
Update for the next Lix release.

Two new levels:
Pillarity Ensues (Mundane) - nothing but pillars!
Over and Under and Out (Arcane) - small but tough builder puzzle.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2015, 05:07:49 AM »
Major update for the new version of Lix! :lix-laugh:

New level: Nested Loops

The updated pack is included in the main Lix download – without which the levels don't all work, so there's no point in me providing a download here :lix-smile:

The Plan is still an aspirational goal, but for now I want to have a pack that "looks finished" at each release (though I'm still not quite there yet!) and has a consistently high quality of levels.

Changes:
  • Levels are now in four ratings of 25*: Humane, Arcane, Insane and Flingsane. Keen observers will note that I had more than 100 levels before – see below...
    (*Flingsane isn't up to 25 yet.)
  • The 10-of-each-skill "flower" levels have been rolled into Humane for now. These levels now give 10 of all 14 skill types, with fling-exploders instead of regular exploders. The only two brand-new levels in this update fall into this category: Nested Loops and Shelf Life.
  • Levels have been fixed to account for physics changes (instant bombers, no ramps from interrupting digging skills). Unfortunately the changes have decisively killed off one of my favourite levels:
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    On the other hand, bombing is an absolute breeze, making Flingsane 100x more fun! If you were afraid to try this rating before, it's definitely worth another look now!
  • General small changes to the levels. Always trying to make them better, little by little :lix-smile:

TODO (for my own reference as much as anything):

Short term: Build Flingsane up to 25 levels so the pack actually "looks finished"! :lix-laugh:
Mid-long term: Build more levels, improve the existing levels, remake more of my Lemmix levels... generally make this pack even better!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2015, 06:05:57 AM »
And another thing:

I've pulled together an "outtakes" pack (attached) of levels that I've culled. Not just recent ones – I've scoured the archives for old stuff too!

Just because a level is in here, doesn't mean it won't make it into the main pack eventually. They just don't make the cut for now, or otherwise don't fit.

I'm maintaining these along with the main set. This means broken/unsolvable levels are excluded, and levels are subject to change over time.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2015, 07:23:41 PM »
Quote from: #lix, December 9
[09:09:57]   <Clam> I cracked open the Lix editor this week for the first time in ages, and to my amazement, levels dropped out
[09:10:27]   <SimonN> great
[09:10:39]   <Clam> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57182300/Lix/levels/easy-five-step-plan.txt
[09:10:46]   <Clam> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57182300/Lix/levels/sandy-knolls.txt

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2016, 08:06:55 PM »
I finally got around trying Flingsane without this annoying timing of bombers. Here are the replays (together with a few other replays I found in the replay folder). Especially "From the Void" was great.

EDIT: And now with attachment.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2016, 07:18:35 PM »
Thanks for the replays! :lix-smile:

Notes on individual levels (other solutions are as intended or near enough):

A Step Two Far - Impressive solution! :o I never considered that route. I'll leave this in as a legitimate alternate solution.
Dig Deep - Somehow (!) digger cancelling didn't occur to me while testing this, despite being quite possible with the old shovel physics. Can't be fixed. That's slightly embarrassing. :lix-ashamed:
Fire up the bomb squad - some steel on the right wall will fix that.
From the Void - not the solution I had in mind, but interesting enough that I might keep it. Notably this solution doesn't involve damaging the bricks at all. (This level has been through many iterations and I'm still not sure the best way to use the 'trick' of saving lix that would fall off the level.)
I've got the world on a string - I didn't know the basher looked at that row of pixels for terrain to continue bashing... will see if I can fix the level to account for that.
Learn to Fly - spamming floaters at the end isn't intended; maybe fixing the SI will prevent this method?
Set fire to the rain - making a holding cell at the top is not intended; this can be fixed.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2016, 07:43:25 PM »
Digger cancelling: Would like to discuss this in IRC with you sometime, in case any similar problem comes up with with pneumatic-hammer digging.

-- Simon

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »
Learn to Fly - spamming floaters at the end isn't intended; maybe fixing the SI will prevent this method?
No. Constant SI 50 saves again 19 Lix (20 should be possible as well). SIs not divisible by 10 reduce the number of Lix saved, but the same method still works.

Digger cancelling: Would like to discuss this in IRC with you sometime, in case any similar problem comes up with with pneumatic-hammer digging.
Digger cancelling is currently possible with pneumatic-hammer: You just have to start the new digger precisely on the first frame after the old digger removes some terrain.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
Perhaps Dig Deep can be fixed after all - at the cost of making it look rather ugly :-\. See attached.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2016, 10:55:46 PM »
Hopefully this solution is better.

PS: The description of ClamLix still says "lemmingsforums.com".

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2016, 07:47:54 AM »
ClamLix updated 2016-01-31

In response to recently found backroutes and upcoming changes to Lix.

Download Zip

New level: Sandy Knolls

New levels:
Easy five-step plan! (Humane) - easy builder level
Sandy Knolls (Arcane) - not-so-easy blocker level

Moved to outtakes:
Interval Training - relies on variable SI; if this stays then the level will go back in
Fill the Floor - ditto
Learn to Fly - not happy with the level, removed while I think of something to do with it
From the Void - ditto (turns out I'd changed it since the last update, and somehow managed to make it worse)

Noteworthy changes:
Infinite Timer - renamed to Timeless Classic
Hello, Goodbye - rearranged terrain to avoid the need for a time limit :)
I've got the world on a string - removed ledge that allowed Nepster's backroute
Nothing to Lose - widened top area for timing reasons
Lazy Gypsy Bums - sped up the start and done away with the climber
Fire up the Bomb Squad - added steel at lower right
Set Fire to the Rain - added a saw to prevent building from the lower left
Builders Without Borders II - overhauled to work without needing to adjust SI

Noteworthy non-changes:
Dig Deep - has been left as is (without the steel bars). Digger cancelling may be changed in future, though this is far from resolved.

Misc:
Updated description text with the correct website! Amusingly, the German version already had it right :D

-- :8():

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »
I've been going through the levels (at least, those I can solve) to make replays for D Lix and note problems such as lix counts that should be reduced.

Humane 1 to 8 are all save 20 of 40, and still have lix spawning when I finish building the route, ranging from 7 to 27. To keep the statistics constant across the levels, it seems to me a good compromise is to make them all save 10 of 20.

Humane 10 (A step too far?) is 40/50, should be reduced to 30/40.
Humane 12 (Works on so many levels) 50/60 -> 30/40
Humane 13 (The endless steps) 40/80 -> 20/40 and give 20 imploders
Humane 14 (MORE WEE CREATURES) 35/50 -> 20/30*
Humane 19 (Underbelly) 20/25 -> 15/20

* Normal solution is lose-8 and finishes with 32 in hatches. Reducing to something like 10/20 would have the problem that you could ignore one hatch and save only one side. Lose-2 is possible but should remain as a challenge; requiring it is too hard for Humane. I've made replays of both solutions.

Replays for all Humane levels attached.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:58:05 PM by Proxima »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2017, 09:46:56 PM »
I know that this pack isn't supported anymore but I looked into playing the Arcane difficulty (on v. 0.9.1). I solved 24 out of 25 levels so far.
The remaining level has to do with jumper physics. Has there anything changed concerning that between 0.9.1 and the time the pack was last updated which could break the level? It's of course very well possible that I just haven't gotten the idea yet. But I just wanted to know if it's worth thinking further or if it's likely that the level is broken.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2017, 09:58:07 PM »
What exact level do you suspect impossible?

I have researched Death Slide before, and believe it is impossible. Last year, I showed my best attempts to Clam, asking whether my idea should work. He said that yes, my attempts had the right idea, and that a physics change in 2016 likely broke the level.

Your 24 replays would be an excellent contribution to the proof collection! I'll be more than happy to ship ClamLix in the normal download once we have covered everything.

(Thanks for the 40 lemforum-Cunning replays and your feedback!)

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2017, 10:10:11 PM »
Yeah, it's the level "Death Slide".
The levels were all somehow special and memorable but they were often very execution heavy and super precise as well. Some were really fun and clever and others felt a bit random and finicky. In total it was as fun as exhausting to go through these levels.
I have attached the 24 replays but I think I have some backroutes.

Edit: Removed one replay in the attachment.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:02:30 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2017, 08:40:28 PM »
I looked into playing the Insane difficulty:
2 levels seem to contain trampolines and are therefore showing missing terrain (18 - "Inside the fourth wall" and 20 - "Wrap your head around this one!").
Out of the 23 remaining I solved 16 and attached the replays. For the rest of the levels I really need a longer period of time of thinking and my head really needs a rest now.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2017, 08:51:14 PM »
Versions of those levels without trampolines are here.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2017, 09:14:15 PM »
Thanks Proxima, solved the no-trampoline variants.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2017, 12:36:29 AM »
I have looked through Flingsane difficulty as well and solved 11 of 16 levels.
One level shows missing terrain (9 - "The Great Wall of Lix"). It seems to contain the old oriental tileset.
I managed to solve another Insane level. The solution of which is attached as well.

Some remarks:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 04:55:18 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2017, 01:42:56 AM »
@ Forestidia86: could you give us any comments on the difficulty curve of the pack? (so far)

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2017, 02:33:10 AM »
What do you mean with difficulty curve?
Within one difficulty? It didn't really seem to me like that but that is a matter of strengths and weaknesses I think. So I'm not sure if I can answer it properly.

Some personal impressions concerning difficulty:

Edit 2: Since I have talked about having a backroute in the level "Shopping Cart Race" I have attached a probably more intended solution.

Edit 3: I have a less executionheavy solution to "Send in the Square Squad" attached, which
It still feels a bit finicky but can probably done better.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:25:43 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »
those are exactly the kind of feedback I wanted; thank you :thumbsup:

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »
As last thing I looked through the Outtakes levels (v.0.9.2).
4 show missing terrain: 1-3 -"Abridged Inversion" and "Abridged Version" in two versions and 18 - "Korean Border Crossing" (all containing old oriental tileset).
I haven't solved the following 4 of the remaining: 8 - "Chaos Theory" and 17 - "Just drop in"; 12 - "Fill the Floor" (reply #93 indicates that it relies on variable SI), 16 - "Interval Training" (from the name it sounds as if it relies on manipulating the SI and cf. reply #93)
So I have attached 17 solutions out of 25 levels.

23 - "Time is Running Out" seems to have relied on time limit; is therefore pointless now.
Many of the levels are introductory or show off a certain mechanic. 22 - "The Turnaround Compendium" is a really nice introduction into most of the skills.

The problem with missing terrain have two Humane levels as well: 5 - "Bridge Burnout" (seems easily repairable by raising the entrance a bit), 22 - "About Face!" (contains old oriental tileset)

Some question about changed mechanics:

Edit 2: Attached the solution to the Insane level 11 - "Switchback Mountain" (felt really finicky). So remain 5 levels of Insane.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:26:55 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »
Yes, Fill the Floor and Interval Training rely on variable spawn interval. If ClamLix gets a D Lix release, Interval Training should be cut, and Fill the Floor should get adapted or cut.

Korean Border Crossing relied on the exact looks of Matt's bridge tile. There is no easy way to replicate that in Lix ≥ 0.7. But other missing levels are easier to replicate: I've attached an archive with screenshots of the Oriental levels in their original terrain. One of those screenshots is attached for example.

In June 2017, I autoconverted other levels from Matt's Oriental to my Oriental, I'll look into how I did that. The autoconversion preserved the rough shape, but not the exact terrain physics.

Levels with time limits can become trivial and need a deeper fix: Kill lixes that turn around, merge another group after delay into the first, ... If there is no fix, it's okay to ditch a level.

Forestidia, by now, you've become more knowledgeable than anyone about ClamLix. Would you like to become maintainer for this level set?

You would decide which levels to keep, change, or possibly cut altogether. I would include the pack in the main download once we have 100 % replay coverage and you're happy with the solutions. I won't know the solution to every level, I or others would occasionally ask you whether their solution is a backroute. Sometimes, ideally only once or twice per year, Lix physics change, requiring to re-cover some levels with proof replays.

It's your choice. It's okay to pass on the maintainership later, geoo started the lemforum pack in 2011 and passed maintainershop to Proxima early 2017. Clam merely left before we recognized the value of 100 % replay coverage and chosen maintainers.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2017, 09:03:01 PM »
I'm so sorry, but I don't think I can take over this task. I really have to get in real life in the beginning of next year.

I have attached the solution I think is intended to "Shopping Cart Race" in Reply #103 (was an edit of the post). Maybe more buzzsaws would be a fix. My backroute works in 0.6.37 as well although it is bit tighter which fits your remarks. I still can't believe that this was overlooked.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2017, 01:04:11 AM »
replay for Lix Recycling Plant. (likely intended solution)

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2017, 06:46:25 AM »
Forestidia: No hard feelings! You've already done a lot for ClamLix.

Then, let's collect replays and judgements here.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
Maybe a list of levels that are missing a replay:

Arcane: "Death Slide" (maybe unsolvable)

Flingsane:
16 - "Fling Me"

Outtakes:
8 - "Chaos Theory",
17 - "Just drop in" (I wonder if this relies on variable SI as well.) 

Furthermore are those missing that show missing terrain due to the old oriental set or rely on varible SI.
The trampoline levels have substitutes, though these seem a bit easy for Insane difficulty (maybe I have a backroute in "Wrap your head around this one!"). Could maybe be moved a difficulty down since these are still fun levels.

(The builder puzzles are the reason why I constantly ask about changed mechanics there by the way.)

Edit: Found a solution for "Hello, Goodbye" and Proxima has a better, less hackish solution for "Santa's Workshop".

Edit: Nepster's replays of reply #87 contain working solutions to "Builder's Cracks" and "Two Bridges, too far".

Edit: In geoo's attached replay collection is a working replay of "Another Pick in the Wall".

Edit: geoo's replays helped me to find a solution to "Square Squabble" (it's quite hacky at one point though) and I managed to reconstruct geoo's replay to "Nothing to Lose".

Edit: Managed to get a solution for "Pick me up" and "Set Fire to the Rain" with the help of geoo's replays.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:37:00 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »
One addition to the post before:

I tried to verify Proxima's Humane Replays with 0.9.2 and 3 (/4) show fail:
3. - "Mirror Mines"
12. - "Works on so many levels"
19. - "Underbelly"
(one of the replays for 14. - "MORE WEE CREATURES!" but there is a second one and that works)

Apart from that the two that are for the levels that show missing terrain don't work (obviously).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
Which replay to "MORE WEE CREATURES" is the failed one? There is one that saves 48/50 with a floater and two builders remaining; the other saves 42/50 with a floater and one builder remaining. If you let me know, I can have a go at redoing all those in 0.9; I don't see any reason why any of them should be impossible.

We can also fix and re-record "Bridge Burnout" by moving the hatch, as you suggsted.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2017, 05:50:20 PM »
Simon seems to have re-covered the three levels. I should have looked in the proof collection first.
The "MORE WEE CREATURES" replay that fails is that :

more-wee-creatures-Michael-2017-03-11-140958.txt

I haven't looked into it yet since I haven't played the levels myself yet.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2017, 05:56:40 PM »
Okay, I believe that's the 42/50 replay, which is less important as there's a lot of choice for how to solve the level; the 48/50 is a bit special as it shows the current record for maximum number saved.

(Feature request: in the replay browser, display the full replay filename under the level name on the right, so that it's easier to distinguish multiple replays in the common case when the default filename does not display in full in the list on the left.)

Edit Simon: This issue is now on github, #376 Replay browser, show full filename of selected replay.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:57:23 PM by Simon »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
Well, Simon seems to have repaired the two Humane levels that contained missing terrain already as well. (It's a bit embarrassing, should have checked more thoroughly.)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2017, 06:50:39 PM »
Here's a solution to Santa's Workshop (recorded in 0.9) that should be acceptable. It doesn't use all the skills (in particular, the blocker) but that may have been a red herring. Of course, there's no guarantee this is Clam's intended solution unless he returns and informs us, but it relies on a clean linchpin rather than brute-force hacking.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2017, 09:51:05 PM »
Got over my fear of big levels and solved "Hello, Goodbye". I saved the runners but think it's nevertheless in the spirit of the intended solution.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2017, 03:03:38 AM »
Nepster had provided a couple of replays in reply #87.
I tried to verify them with with 0.9.2 and most of them fail but the following work:

builders-cracks-Nepster.txt
coming-unstuck-Nepster.txt
falling-forever-Nepster.txt
globe-of-death-Nepster.txt
made-to-mismeasure-Nepster.txt
skyline-skydiving-Nepster.txt
two-bridges-too-far-Nepster.txt

Fortunately they include Insane 6: "Builder's Cracks" and Flingsane 13: "Two bridges, two far", so that they are covered as well.

The replay of Nepster of reply #90 seems to work as well (I think the level path has to be adjusted though):

learn-to-fly-Nepster_2.txt

Every other replay in the thread before reply #94 seems to be in an old format I can't make replay, fails or is done for a level with missing terrain. But I can't guarantee that I didn't overlook something.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:12:32 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »
Attached is an archive with replays that I found, and two older versions of lix (I have more lying around, if some content needs a different version). Try if that works, if not I can dig a bit deeper.
Copy the graphics assets (tilesets) from the newest version of lix, I think very little has changed to existing tilesets, though I can also send the old Oriental tileset if needed.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2017, 09:08:18 PM »
Thanks geoo for providing this.

I've checked the Flingsane replays which I can fast verify with 0.9.2 and following work:

another-pick-in-the-wall-geoo.txt
coming-unstuck-geoo.txt
falling-forever-geoo.txt
skyline-skydiving-geoo.txt
two-bridges-too-far-geoo.txt

So we have a working replay for "Another Pick in the Wall" as well.

The other ones seem to be in the old format (apart from the TameLix stuff) and I have to look through if there is a replay to a level where there is no coverage.
I can look into the broken replays of "Fling me" and "Set fire to the rain" as well. Maybe it's repairable.

I have a version 0.6.x of Lix, so I can look into levels with old oriental tileset. I have only put that behind to first cover the levels that are actually playable in 0.9.x because the broken levels need extra repair work and not only coverage.

I have deliberately not dealt with TameLix since it's a remake of original levels and I don't know if we want to put that in the package or treat that better as something extra.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2017, 10:57:47 PM »
I messed around with geoo's replays to "Square Squabble", which are unfortunately quite desynched if I manually change them to the new format. But that helped me nevertheless in finding a solution for that level. It is quite hackish at one point though.

Edit: I managed to transform and repair geoo's solution to "Nothing to lose" and attached it. (I hope this time the right one.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:38:04 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2017, 02:59:45 AM »
I messed around with geoo's replays to "Square Squabble", which are unfortunately quite desynched if I manually change them to the new format. But that helped me nevertheless in finding a solution for that level. It is quite hackish at one point though.

Edit: I managed to transform and repair geoo's solution to "Nothing to lose" and attached it. (I hope this time the right one.)

this is a backroute to Square Squabble*. I think I have some ideas on how to fix it and will try in the coming days. ...Maybe I will look at the other replays for other backroutes.

*I know this because before he left, Clam sent me solutions to all his old Lemmix levels; and the old Lemmix level this is based on, "Square route of Lemming" has a similar solution to what I found for this. I'm pretty confident my solution is close to intended.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2017, 03:13:04 AM »
Yeah, I thought it had a quite hackish assignment.
It would be really good if someone checked my replays.
Maybe post your solution for the coverage.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:36:26 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2017, 04:17:21 AM »
The replay format changed in August 2015. You've already understood both formats: Pre-2015 wrote skill button presses in the panel to replays, and didn't record skill info per assignment. Post-2015 ignores skill button presses, and instead records the skill per assignment.

C++ Lix 2016-06-02 can read both formats. It has other physics than D Lix 0.9, therefore it's mostly useful to look at solutions, rather than to convert replays to post-2015. If you still want to convert to post-2015, consult doc/readme.txt for the dangerous switch --convert-and-overwrite.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »
Thanks, I looked at geoo's replay to "Pick me up" there. Unfortunately already desynched but gave me nevertheless the right hint what to do.
I have attached the solution. Were a lot of tricks in it I didn't know.

Edit: I have a solution for "Set Fire to the Rain" with the help of geoo's replay, which gave me the hint what I was missing in my solution.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:35:15 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2017, 01:53:01 PM »
an attempted fix to Square Squabble:

@ Simon: is it possible on current version to watch a replay be done on another level? The purpose of which of course is to fix a level; then watch the replay happen on it to see if it will work or fail or not? NL can do this and it's quite useful.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »
If you want to look right now I personally only know a convoluted way:
Copying the level file information of the new level over the level file information in the replay.
But maybe there is a better way.

(My replay fails by the way in your fix.  I don't know for sure about variants.)

Edit: It seems you can just change the file name in the replay to the new level name and use pointedTo in the replay menu.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:29:15 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
on current version to watch a replay be done on another level?

Yes, via command line:
lix levels/path/to/your/level.txt replays/path/to/your/replay.txt

Alternatively, edit the line $FILENAME in a replay, or use Forestidia's method to copy the desired level over the replay's target level. Both methods require you to change data, which is bad.

Not possible from the GUI. Better level<->replay support in the GUI is long-term enhancement idea.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2017, 05:39:02 PM »
Maybe an update post since a couple of new levels have some coverage now:

1st: Missing a replay (of the playable levels) are:

Flingsane:
16 - "Fling Me" (Looks very convoluted to perform.)

Outtakes:
8 - "Chaos Theory" (Looks very finicky to perform.)
17 - "Just drop in" (I managed to solve it with variable SI in the old version but the solution was very precise. I don't know if it is solvable without variable SI.)

The Insane level 19 -  "Square Squabble" has gotten a fix against my backroute by mobius in reply #126. The new version has no replay in this thread as far as I know but I'm sure mobius has one.

2nd: Probably non-solvable levels in current state and version:

Outtakes:
12 - "Fill the Floor"
16 - "Interval Training"
Reply #93 by Clam indicates that they relied on variable SI.

Arcane:
17 - "Death Slide" (I tried to solve it in the older version but still have no clue what to do.)
According to Proxima in reply #130 it is not solvable in the current version.

3rd: Levels that got pointless due to reliance on time limit:

Flingsane 3 - "Skyline Skydiving"
Outtakes 23 - "Time is Running Out"

You can beat these levels and save all lix without doing anything.

4th: Levels that show missing terrain and have no fix (afaik):

Flingsane 9 - "The Great Wall of Lix"
Outtakes 1-3 - "Abridged Inversion" and "Abridged Version" in two versions
Outtakes 18 - "Korean Border Crossing"

All contain the old oriental tileset.

Of course feel free to cover levels that have already a replay since it is not excluded that the existing replays have backroutes or the solution can be done cleaner or better.

For example: My solution to Arcane 6 - "Flower Towers" is very clumsy since I was still trying around or my solution to Arcane 13 - "Builders Without Borders" has a very hackish move at the end, though I think it is generally in the spirit of the intended one and so on.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:24:14 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »
Death Slide indeed won't work in D Lix. Perhaps the simplest way to salvage it is to add 2 climbers? That might give too much of a hint though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:11:54 PM by Proxima »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2017, 08:48:18 PM »
I have looked into repairing the levels with old oriental tileset.
The problem are there the bridge tiles:

1st The old tiles seem to have been much bigger than the new ones.
2nd Even if I try to build a big tile out of the small ones the problem is that the angled tiles seem to have another angle old versus new. I don't know if you can finetune this in the editor.

I have attached a comparison picture for "Abridged Inversion" (comparision1.png) concerning that form left to right:
1st The original level with old tileset.
2nd The merely via text edit coverted version.
3rd  A version with combined new bridge tiles to form one big tile (included via text edit).

Maybe that can be smoothened out in the editor but I'm too inexperienced to assess and perform that.

The Flingsane "Great Wall of Lix" level on the other side seems to be easier repairable. I have attached an comparision picture for that as well (comparision2.png):

1st The original level with old tileset.
2nd The merely via text edit coverted version.
3rd The via ingame editor adjusted version (, which should work).

I can't exclude that I made mistakes with the conversion since I was not very thorough.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2017, 04:53:56 AM »
Looks good! The shifted simon/oriental bridges generate interesting hollow spaces, much like the complex bridge tiles in matt/oriental. The exact angle is negligible, interesting patterns are important.

Thanks for the table of solvability, it shows great progress.

Please post your adaptions of the oriental levels. I'd like to collect everything from the thread and package ClamLix as a separate download, and update the proof collection. My goal is to allow everybody to work from a reference point towards 100 % coverage.

Before any publishing in the standard Lix download, someone should go over your replays to judge backroutes. I'll do it if nobody else steps forward to.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2017, 06:37:23 AM »
I have attached the redone oriental levels. Furthermore an attempted fix to "Shopping Cart Race" is included.
I have solving replays for the new "Shopping Cart Race" and the new "Great Wall of Lix" included as well.
I haven't tested the bridge levels at all. I have two variants included for them: One with big angled tiles as in the picture, which used the old tiles as pattern, and one with slightly changed big angled tiles that fit better to the straight tiles.
One "problem" concerning "Great Wall of Lix":

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2017, 01:15:02 AM »
For better accessibility I tried to collect all the replays across the thread that I found working apart from the Humane ones since they are already in the proof collection. I hope mobius, Proxima, Nepster and geoo are ok with that.
I tried to put them in their respective rank folder. I included the no-trampoline variant replays. Some could have a different rank path since stuff was moved (Nepster's learn-to-fly-Nepster_2.txt refers to Flingsane but the level was moved to Outtakes, the no-trampoline variants are solved outside of a rank folder) .

There are three namings of the main folder in the replay files (afaik):
Clam
ClamLix
ClamLix-master

I hope I didn't forget, overlooked or missordered a replay.

Edit: Removed one replay in the attachment.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:01:21 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2017, 01:19:36 AM »
sorry I lost my replay for Square Squabble; but Simon should have the one I sent him. It should still work even after the fix. If not I can make a new one.

Are there any Arcane or Insane levels that yet do not have a solution/replay?

What happened to "From the Brink"? I don't see it anywhere not even in outtakes? [I don't think it would work anyway so would have to be removed]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:24:50 AM by mobius »

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2017, 01:30:32 AM »
Apart from the Arcane level "Death Slide" that seems to be unsolvable I don't think so. But always feel free to make replays if you feel like it. Maybe they are cleaner or the existing ones could have backroutes.
I wanted to redo the Insane level "Switchback Mountain" in the Nepster way. His replay unfortunately desynchs soon but I could see what he does different and it seems less finicky. Something like the more finicky Arcane levels like "Builder Without Borders", "Flower Towers", "Compression Method Infinity" etc. could be probably done better.
The best thing would be of course if you could take on the missing levels "Fling Me" (Flingsane) and "Chaos Theory" (Outtakes).

I thought to have read somewhere that "From the Brink" was cut due to the changes but I don't remember where.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2017, 06:58:48 PM »
I have attached an attempted fix with a solving replay to "Just drop in" in case it relied on variable SI.

(Sorry for the clumsy naming.)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
Switchback Mountain is a remake of the Lemmix level Switchback Symmetry and that level and a intended replay of it should exist somewhere. I think it comes from the second new level contest on the old forum*. The contest where the rules were "all crystal level, no builders" I'll be looking into it.

*last forum before this one, where Adam was admin.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:29 PM »
Thanks.
Yeah, quite some levels of the Insane difficulty seem to be remakes of older levels by Clam.
The following levels seem to be remakes as well:

Dig This!
FALL AND DIE
Hello, Goodbye
Leaky Building Syndrome

If you have the solutions maybe you could look into my replays if they hit the intended route.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:11:33 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2017, 08:51:05 AM »
Attached is ClamLix 2017-10-31. All levels are playable: None miss tiles, but some may still be unsolvable.

ClamLix 2017-10-31 includes the gathered levels and replays from this thread, thanks to Forestidia for bundling and for most of the replays. For the 4 levels relying on angled bridges, (3x Abridged and Korean Border Crossing), I've chosen your second versions. I've removed Fill the Floor and Interval Training.

Replays are in the proof collection.

These 7 levels have no proof:
clam/Arcane/death-slide.txt
clam/Flingsane/fling-me.txt
clam/Outtakes/abridged-inversion.txt
clam/Outtakes/abridged-version-v1.txt
clam/Outtakes/abridged-version-v2.txt
clam/Outtakes/chaos-theory.txt
clam/Outtakes/korean-border-crossing.txt

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »
Solvable Death Slide, with replay. Clam told me last year that this solution is intended.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2017, 12:45:52 PM »
It's nice to see that ClamLix has gotten so far. From my side thanks to all who helped.

mobius has provided a fix (to my backroute) to Square Squabble in reply #126. I haven't put that in my RedoneLevels.zip since for levels it is not as clear as with replays who made what. Sorry, if that led to confusion.
This new version would be in need of a proving replay.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:57:13 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
I have attached a solution to the new "Abridged Version (v2)". I don't know what to make of it.

I have noticed that TameLix seems to be included in the new package. I haven't dealt with it at all. There are actually two levels (the last 2) that relied on the old oriental tileset and still show missing terrain therefore.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »
Hah, I didn't notice TameLix. Good catch. The replay checker doesn't complain when entire directories are untouched, by design.

Will include mobius's Square Squabble from reply #126. I have mobius's replay recorded on 2017-10-19, that solves mobius's Square Squabble from reply #126.

Will include your replay for Abridged Version v2. If you don't like it yourself, feel free to change the terrain as you wish or cut the level entirely. After all, this level is in Outtakes/ and its terrain broke heavily due to the Oriental set.

From the Brink, we removed it because it's not possible in D Lix.
Reason, spoiler (click to show/hide)

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »
My replay of "Square Squabble" should fail in mobius fix, so that could be maybe then removed.

Tried to solve "Abridged Version (v2)" in the original tileset, it was similiar as in the new version but
I don't have a clear opinion about that myself.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2017, 06:28:53 PM »
Since nobody else wanted to do that and with hint of geoo's broken replay I have a solving replay for "Fling me".
But man, it's very convoluted and tight.

Edit: Attached another but cleaner and less tight replay to "Fling me"; should be closer to geoo's solution as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:59:58 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2017, 10:18:02 PM »
I have slightly changed "Abridged Version (v1)" just to harmonize the metal bars with the original and have attached a solving replay.
I have attached as well a solving replay to "Abridged Inversion", which is a bit convoluted but I think it's in the spirit of the level and even somehow fun if you do it one time.

The remaining two levels missing a replay are:

Chaos theory (Could this be a level that requires exiting after nuking?)
Korean Border Crossing (I haven't really tried that level but the skills seem to be very tightly tailored to the original version. It's not excluded that it works though.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:27:56 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »
I just saw Clam listed in "Users active in past 15 minutes" just now.  So apparently either he still visits from time to time or someone manages to finally get him to swing by.   So if there are any lingering questions here about his levels maybe he can provide his opinions and advice.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
Let's just say it's rather difficult to reply to PMs without logging in :XD:

(cue wild speculation)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2017, 11:54:16 PM »
Attached is an archive with replays that I found, and two older versions of lix (I have more lying around, if some content needs a different version). Try if that works, if not I can dig a bit deeper.
Copy the graphics assets (tilesets) from the newest version of lix, I think very little has changed to existing tilesets, though I can also send the old Oriental tileset if needed.

When I try to run either of these I get "missing allegro-4.4.2-md.dll or alleg42.dll" but these dlls are present in the folder.

(I also had to download "zlib1.dll")

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »
mobius, I had similiar problems with geoo's versions but Simon provided an older version of Lix in reply #124:

C++ Lix 2016-06-02 can read both formats.

If you want to watch old replays you nevertheless have to be lucky that they are not desynched in that version.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:32:17 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »
May not be necessary because

Eureka! I think I found the intended solution to Santas workshop.
Or the general idea at least. Must wait until​I get home to work it out.:thumbsup:

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2017, 12:10:07 AM »
replay with what I believe is likely intended solution to Santa's workshop (or something similar). Uses all skills, all terrain features and elegant solution with no precision necessary. That's what the runners or for after all; to alleviate precision.*
How to fix the backroutes though is going to be difficult.

*note to self: make topic about runners. Too much runner hate going on.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2017, 03:31:08 AM »
Nice that you got it, mobius. With your hint from the IRC coverage I could get it myself but my particular way was more finicky (at least for me).

My backroute should be fixable since it is very tight and contingent. Proxima's way of solving on the other hand seems to be more engrained in the level.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2017, 08:29:14 PM »
Just another solution to "Switchback Mountain", which is a variant of what I did in my original replay. (It does certain actions in another order.) It was inspired by Nepster's broken replay and I think is less fiddly and cleaner.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
Here's a modification of Skyline Skydiving to make it work even without a time limit.

I don't remember how Time is Running out works and probably something similar could be done here, but then it's in Outtakes, so maybe not so important.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2017, 09:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the fix, geoo.
I have attached a solution but that one is very tight.
Since the level is very big, it's a bit hard to realize what is going on at the beginning but nevertheless very nice fix.

"Time is Running out" seems to be meant to be an introduction to the runner skill. Many of those introductory levels that (just) require you to use a certain mechanic seem to be in the Outtakes category.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2017, 03:55:20 AM »
I'm planning a Lix release in the next days, but I'd still not include ClamLix yet. Nonetheless I'll gather all replays and changes since the 2017-10-31 compilation and package ClamLix in this thread.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
I'm planning a Lix release in the next days, but I'd still not include ClamLix yet. Nonetheless I'll gather all replays and changes since the 2017-10-31 compilation and package ClamLix in this thread.

1st Things that weren't considered in the first packaging:

- Fix to "Square Squabble" by mobius in reply #126 + solving replay by mobius
- TameLix was still included

2nd Things that are were provided after the packaging:

- Fix to "Death Slide" by you + solving replay (#141
- Replay to "Abridged Version (V2)" (#143)
- (Two) replays to "Fling me" (#146)
- Replay to "Abridged Inversion" + slight change to "Abridged Version (V1)" + solving replay  (#147)
- mobius replay to "Santa's Workshop" that seems to be at least close to the intended solution (#153) (This replay breaks in the fix by mobius of reply#160, but mobius therefore provided a working replay to that fix in the same reply (see below).)
- another solution to "Switchback Mountain", which seems a bit cleaner (#155)
- geoo's fix to "Skyline Skydiving" (#156)
- Replay to geoo's fix to "Skyline Skydiving" (#157)
- Fix by mobius to "Santa's Workshop" + solving replay (#160)
- Another solution to "Urban Ledge-End" (#164)
- Attempted fix to "Time is Running Out" and solving replay (#168) (This one really needs to be checked by someone more experienced than me.)

3rd Things still open:

- "Chaos Theory" and "Korean Border Crossing" have no solving replay (Maybe consider to cut these levels since "Chaos Theory" seems to have been luck based (at least reply #20 in this thread indicates that) and "Korean Border Crossing" seems to be designed for the other tileset (even if that doesn't exclude solvability)).

Edit: Added mobius fix to "Santa's Workshop" to the list. Thanks for that, mobius. Other things added, too.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:35:05 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2017, 01:15:42 AM »
fix for Santa's workshop; also attached my replay. This layout is closer to the Lemmix version but still quite different and has some possible problems with the terrain but I removed some of the major problems (at risk of decreasing the pretty decoration).

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2017, 12:24:54 AM »
I looked at Forestidia86's replay to "Urban Ledge-End"

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:32:34 AM by mobius »

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2017, 12:36:35 AM »
I looked at Forestidia86's replay to "Urban Ledge-End"

Hm, I thought that was the main trick in the level. The replay works with the C++-Lix version Simon provided but that version is relatively new. So Simon has to tell in the end.

Though mobius is probably right that this is not the fully intended solution.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2017, 12:50:48 AM »
Quote from: mobius
Was [mechanic discussed in spoiler] always possible in Lix?

Yes, that has always been possible.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2017, 03:25:20 AM »
Attached another solution to "Urban Legde-End" that works without
and in some sense uses all the terrain but has another strange quirk therefore and doesn't need to use all skills.

Btw my backroute to "Shopping Cart Race" doesn't seem to work in the C++-Lix version:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:02:13 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2017, 01:03:53 AM »
Attached another solution to "Urban Legde-End" that works without
and in some sense uses all the terrain but has another strange quirk therefore and doesn't need to use all skills.

Btw my backroute to "Shopping Cart Race" doesn't seem to work in the C++-Lix version:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would bet money that is much closer to the intended solution. That's a pretty neat trick that I've never seen before actually.

-----
no idea how to fix this atm, although I found this level was still pretty tough even so.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2017, 01:36:38 AM »
Thanks.
Some remarks (click to show/hide)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2017, 01:40:58 AM »
I wouldn't bother to change anything. I agree both solutions are interesting and like I said I found it quite difficult; I wasn't able to solve it in any way yet.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »
So another attempt:
I tried to fix "Time is Running Out" in a similiar way like geoo did with "Skyline Skydiving". I tried to keep the spirit of the level. Can someone look if the fix makes sense.
Replay and level attached.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
I've put all level fixes and all new replays that weren't considered in the first repackaging together. I hope that is okay.

The fix of "Death Slide" is by Simon.
The fix of "Square Squabble" and the fix of "Santa's Workshop" is by mobius.
The fix of "Skyline Skydiving" is by geoo.

I didn't include mobius' replay to the old "Santa's Workshop" of reply #153 since it doesn't work anymore in the fix.

Some suggestions:

- TameLix should be taken out of the package for the moment.
- Concerning the two levels missing a replay:
- "Chaos Theory" and "Korean Border Crossing" have no solving replay (Maybe consider to cut these levels since "Chaos Theory" seems to have been luck based (at least reply #20 in this thread indicates that) and "Korean Border Crossing" seems to be designed for the other tileset (even if that doesn't exclude solvability)).

According to Clam (reply #172) "Chaos Theory" is a nuke level and should therefore be cut.

Edit: Included mobius' replays to new "Santa's Workshop" and new "Square Squabble" of reply #170.
Edit: Now mobius' replay to "Square Squabble" should have the right level data (i.e. the data of the fixed version).
Edit: Clam's replays to "Dig This!" and "Urban Ledge-End" added.
Edit: Attempted fix to "Urban Ledge-End" added to newlevels and my solution to "Urban Ledge-End" removed from newreplays. Changed the level data of Clam's replay to the one of the attempted fix.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:43:10 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
here are replays for Square Squabble and Santa's workshop.

Santa's workshop is maybe still a tad finicky;

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2017, 04:30:04 PM »
Thanks mobius.
I actually had already included your replay of the new "Santa's Workshop" that you provided in reply #160.
There you
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:40:55 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:56 AM »
Hey folks,

Firstly can I just say that you all are amazing solvers and I'm really impressed that you've found pretty much all of my intended solutions in my absence :thumbsup:

Between the replays I've watched (Simon's replay collection on GitHub, and the new zip file), these are the levels I haven't seen intended solutions to:

Backroutes:
Square Dancing: I have various alternate solutions but none involve blocking in the starting platform. That was quite an oversight and I'm not sure how to fix it :-\
Urban Ledge-End: My solution attached, and yes it does involve [trick mentioned in spoilers]. This can probably be enforced by adding steel to prevent the other solutions, though those are nice in their own right and not too dissimilar to mine.
Wrap your head around this one: Jumping into the ceiling is not intended. (This doesn't work in the old version with the trampoline - the lix lands in the wrong place.)

Not intended but not backroutes:
Beaten into shape: Not what I had in mind but arguably fits the title even better! :D
Builders without borders: All my solutions involve some kind of holding pen; good job completing the level without one! Earlier versions had more lix so this was required (not enough walkers).
Over and under and out: Uses the same trick as my solution but seems more complicated and more precision required.
Send in the square squad: My solution is a bit simpler (and doesn't use flinging!)
Turning the screws: I didn't realise you could free the blocker with a falling bomber. Essentially the same solution though.
Dig This: Interesting placement of the digger – thanks to this I found a way to solve this with a digger spare! (attached)
Lix Recycling Plant: Neither is the same as mine, but they use all the skills so it's ok.
Just Drop In: I had no idea you could go over the top. This is great! My solution is more true to the title.
Lost? - It never occurred to me that the umbrella might come into play :XD:. I'm sure if you took the umbrella away you'd find another solution quickly enough :D
Polar Pop: It didn't occur to me that you can get the lix to cross over to the other side (or rather, that doing so would be productive). If you change the pole to steel you might get a solution closer to mine. The skills used and number saved are the same so it's not really a backroute.

Other notes/comments
The replay to Shelf Life desyncs – but due to the nature of the level still solves with 20/40 saved.
Chaos Theory is a nuke level (therefore no longer works) and is completely luck-based :D

I'll post intended solutions to more levels when I get a moment.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
Thanks very much, Clam, for taking the time.
My solution to "Beaten into shape" is actually very finicky and basically mashing with hoping that everything goes well.
For "Just drop in" I actually changed the SI to make my solution possible in D-Lix. (In C++-Lix you had variable SI and there it was possible in the original level. Tested with version Simon provided.)

One question: In the last course of dealing with ClamLix I created few small tech demo levels that are based on solutions to your levels. Is it ok, if I post them?

Edit: Another question: Can/Shall we leave the levels you listed in "Not intended but not backroutes" as they are and see the non-intended solutions as alternate routes?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:40:40 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2017, 03:32:42 PM »
Attached an attempted fix to "Urban Ledge-End". My two solutions fail, Clam's still works.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »
ClamLix 2017-11-22 and its proof collection are attached.

112 of 113 included levels are proven solvable. The only unproven level is Korean Border Crossing. I've removed TameLix and Chaos Theory. I've kept 10 failing replays in the collection for now, but will eventually remove the failing replays.

Thanks to Clam, Forestidia, and mobius for pushing this forward, with many levels and replays shared back and forth! Forestidia's relentless bookeeping made today's packaging easier. I've put this off for so long, but here it is.

We're nearing completion. I'll include ClamLix in the main Lix download once Korean Border Crossing is proven solvable and everybody is happy with the levels.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2017, 04:35:50 AM »
An attempted fix and solving replay to that fix to "Korean Border Crossing". I solved it in the C++-Lix version that Simon provided and changed the level to make this solution possible. Testing for (trivial) backroutes is probably needed.

I have played through all of Humane as well: It was quite fun and a nice break from all the tough levels while being not trivial.
I have attached a non-desynched replay to "Shelf Life".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:22:07 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »
Intended solutions attached to the other levels I mentioned in my previous post.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »
Thanks very much, Clam.
Can you say which levels you want to have fixed?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
I think just the ones I've listed as backroutes – Square Dancing and Wrap your head around this one. Again I'm not sure how these can be fixed but I'm sure we can think of something :D

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
I have an attempted fix for "Wrap Your Head Around This One" and reproduced your replay.
I added steel but that's dangerous because it can be used for turning.

I have no idea for "Square Dancing"; I had a similiar solution to Proxima's.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
An attempted fix to "Square Dancing" with solving replay (reproduced Clam's replay).

It's quite suboptimal:

Maybe somebody else has a better idea.
The level should be tested if it really excludes the backroute.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:10:48 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2017, 03:47:44 PM »
Maybe an update post concerning things provided after last repackage:

- attempted fix + replay to "Korean Border Crossing" (reply #176)
- another replay to "Shelf Life" (reply #176)
- Clam's intended replay collection (reply #177)
- attempted fix +replay to "Wrap Your Head Around This One" (reply #180)
- attempted fix + replay  to "Square Dancing" (reply #181)
- variant to "Korean Border Crossing" + replay (reply #183)
- variant to "Abridged Version (V1)" + replay (reply #183)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:29:20 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2017, 01:23:24 AM »
Attached versions of "Korean Border Crossing" and "Abridged Version (V1)" with the upper bridges being smooth instead of shifted if that's aesthetically more pleasing + solving replays.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2017, 02:33:59 AM »
Thanks! In Korean Border Crossing and Abridged Version, the well-aligned upper bridges look great, definitely keep this.

I haven't run the replay checker yet, but it sounds like ClamLix is ready for inclusion. I'll earmark it for the next Lix release.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2017, 12:59:02 AM »
Attached my and Proxima's backroute to "Square Dancing".

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2017, 01:26:40 AM »
Attached my and Proxima's backroute to "Square Dancing".

I tested only very little and I'm not really the best tester but: I think (maybe) the backroute to Square dancing needs only removal of the bomber and not also the blocker?

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2017, 03:28:53 AM »
Everything until here is released in Lix 0.9.4. Thanks!

Proofs are in the replay database on github.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
Yet another variant to "Korean Border Crossing" with solving replay.
I'm not sure about this. It is aesthetically better I think but it takes away a hint in the terrain.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2017, 08:08:23 AM »
I'm 50:50 about this change, too.

Feel free to decide on your KBC from 2017-12-07, still. For aesthetics, maybe also remove the nubs in the rails, I've circled them in the attached picture? Do the grouped tiles match perfectly with each other, or are their heights wrong by 1 pixel maybe?

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:18:01 AM by Simon »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2017, 08:19:51 AM »
For aesthetics, maybe also remove the nubs in the rails, I've circled them in the attached picture? Do the grouped tiles match perfectly with each other, or are their heights wrong by 1 pixel maybe?

I will try my best but it's seems very fiddly and I'm not dexterous about that. It is possible that they don't fit togethter perfectly.

I could say something to this but that would be spoilery.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2017, 09:27:15 AM »
I've tried to improve it with a bit modified bridge tile groups and attached variants to "Korean Border Crossing" and "Abridged Version (V1)" + replays but no matter what I have to leave it for a week or so.
I hope replays and levels fit together.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:51:29 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »
So compromise:

Simon, look if everything is aesthetically ok; I've adjusted "Abridged Version (V1)" as well, which is in the zipfile in the post above. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »
KBC from reply #192 and AV1 from reply #191 look very nice now! And everything remains solvable with your replays. Thanks for the good work!

Both levels are earmarked for next release.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2017, 03:27:17 PM »
Sorry, I found a very precise backroute and had to fix that.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »
Thanks, KBC from #194 will go into 0.9.5.

Everything above is in Lix 0.9.5.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2017, 01:25:18 PM »
Only a proposal concerning reordering:

I found "Inside the Fourth Wall" in its non-trampoline variant too easy for Insane but the intended solution to Arcane "Urban Ledge-End" seems quite hard in my eyes. So maybe exchange the two.
But "Urban Ledge-End" had a backroute fix and I don't know if that points better to the solution since I've never played the fixed variant unbiased.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
Simon, I've noticed that you haven't updated the proof collection with the new replays to "Abridged Version (V1)" and "Korean Border Crossing"; at least the old one for KBC should break, I'm not sure about Abridged though. Is that intended?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »
Thanks for reporting. I had 100 % coverage locally, but didn't push the changes on 2017-12-13 to github. They're pushed now, and the collection on github should cover 100 %.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2017, 04:55:01 PM »
mobius,

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 26, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
In view of that Clammings has "Urban Ledge-End" (ULE) in Insane (probably with other intended solution though) don't we want to swap it with "Inside the Forth Wall" (ItFW) as I suggested earlier?
Or does anyone has problems with ItFW but not with ULE?
Due to removal of trampolines ItFW is not in its original version, maybe that makes it easier but for me it was a huge contrast to the other Insane levels.
Or does anyone think ULE is in its current version too easy for Insane?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 26, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »
I'll have a look at those levels as soon as I can. I know that I have solved Urban Ledge-End in the past, so I can't have found it that difficult :lix-tongue:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2017, 07:42:31 PM »
mobius,

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2017, 08:03:45 PM »
Yeah, got it unfortunately to work.
But

Thanks mobius for the answer and Proxima for the help with the reordering.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2017, 01:42:50 AM »
Yeah, got it unfortunately to work.
But

Thanks mobius for the answer and Proxima for the help with the reordering.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Something like this might work; I don't know if I could figure out a solution to it though. You're welcome to try. I attached my other fix which doesn't involve any precision but simplifies the level a little bit. If this builder behavior is ever removed; I suggest reverting to the old version.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 28, 2017, 02:16:39 AM »
My idea was:

I think, we just take your fix, thanks mobius.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2017, 01:07:02 AM »
I'm planning to release 0.9.7 either tomorrow (Dec 29th) or around Jan 2nd or 3rd. I'll include the changes to ClamLix as Forestidia deemed them good:
  • Swap ItFW with ULE unless Proxima disagrees,
  • mobius's Square Squabble from 2017-12-28.
-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2018, 07:03:31 PM »
Just for documentation:

I glanced through the level files and following of them contained an n as marker for no-overwrite (It is very well possible that I've overlooked levels):

Arcane:
21 - Box of Tricks
08 - CubeOut
14 - LixBot Lab
09 - Runner Stunner
11 - Sand me down

Flingsane:
05 - Falling Forever
12 - Polar Pop

Humane:
21 - Catch your Death
14 - MORE WEE CREATURES!
01 - No Killer, All Filler
24 - Pachinkube
06 - Pillarity Ensues

Insane:
23 - FALL AND DIE
25 - Hang in there!
14 - Leaky Building Syndrome
24 - Lix Recycling Plant
01 - Made to (mis)measure

Outtakes:
09 - Climb Ev'ry Mountain
21 - Times Four

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
Your list of 19 is complete.

I've used ack to generate a list of levels that contain the n modifier, and got the same files. Command line (bash) was:
ack -l '^:.*: .*n.*' levels/single/clam/

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
I've looked through the n-levels (saved them with the editor) and the ones that could cause problems for maintaining are:

- Big clusters: "Sand me down", "FALL AND DIE", "Polar Pop", "Falling Forever", "Pachinkube"
- Unsure: "No Killer, All Filler", "MORE WEE CREATURES!", "LixBot Lab"

(The rest is divided in groups of a) no tile group created and b) only few minor tile groups created that shouldn't pose a problem for maintaining.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:30:03 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2018, 03:24:18 AM »
The proof collection doesn't seem to be updated with the level swap.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2018, 03:53:03 AM »
Thanks, forgot to push last week. Done now!

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2018, 05:03:02 AM »
I just looked at "Just drop in" because of potential new batter physics. And indeed Clam's intended replay seems to break but it doesn't seem because of the changed batter physics but because of the changed blocker physics.
I've attached a repaired replay.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2018, 07:39:24 PM »
Since I probably can't really care for ClamLix from February on:
If there are any physics changes that break replays, please don't only look if there is a solving replay at all but also that Clam's intended route (Clam's replays) gets a replay as well.
The levels where that is relevant are:

Arcane:
- "Beaten into shape"
- "Builders Without Borders"
- "Over and Under and Out"
- "Send in the Square Squad"
- "Turning the Screws"

Insane:
- "Dig This!"
- "Lix Recycling Plant"

Flingsane:
- "Lost?"
- "Polar Pop"

Outtakes:
- "Just drop in!"
For "Just drop in!" it would be nice if in case my alternative route would get a repaired replay as well since the route is significantly different/ a completely different way to solve the level.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2018, 02:25:35 AM »
Simon, how serious is it with the tumbler rewrite branch? Are there major changes expected? I could in advance make repaired replays for that branch.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2018, 02:37:44 AM »
The tumbler rewrite has a reasonable arc and the code runs much faster than the 0.9 tumbler.

The problem is different positioning horizontally, during a single frame of movement. Jumpers in tumbler-rewrite often land next to the pixel where they would land in 0.9. I should investigate this and decide whether (a change for more 0.9-like horizontal sub-frame movement) makes the the math annoying.

cThe sub-frame movement is important and will affect every tumbler path, this causes most of the replay breakage between 0.9 and tumbler-rewrite.

I think it's wiser not to make replays for that branch yet. I don't expect a physics release within the next 6 weeks. But thanks for the offer!

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2018, 08:45:02 AM »
I've slept about this. If you have the time, you can take a shot at covering those -- if you're okay with doing potentially unneeded work.

Let's denote by "version A" the 0.7.9 physics plus (current branch phys) plus (current branch tumbler-rewrite).

With 0.9.7, all 113 levels are solvable, and in A, only 13 of the 113 break. It's likely, even though not guaranteed, that the final tumbler's sub-frame movement will be a mixture of the 0.9.7 movement and the A movement. Therefore, it's likely that either the old replay or your cover using A will solve it.

If you'd like to give it a go, and are okay with creating 13 replays that might not be useful later: I've rebased tumber-rewrite onto phys, you can thus build A from tumbler-rewrite.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
I didn't provide a replay for "Lazy Gypsy Bums" but the other 12 I've covered. I've repaired as well the failing Clam replay to "Lix Recycling Plant". Most of the replays should break with the stable branch.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2018, 05:22:54 PM »
I confirm that these replays solve in version A. Thanks a lot!

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2018, 12:42:06 AM »
Just for documentation:
"Flower Towers" is mainly a jumping level and one where I fiddled around until it worked in tumbler-rewrite and the stable branch. I've made a comparision picture from a certain (late) point in the level to give an impression of the differences between the two branches. Most of the level is done by this point and it's after having done 13 jumps.
Left is the stable 0.9.7 and right the tumbler-rewrite branch. I've put the picture in a zipfile to avoid spoilers but I don't think it is spoilery.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2018, 03:38:45 PM »
A small probably backroute-fix to BEHIND YOU.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #221 on: April 14, 2018, 02:04:56 PM »
Earmarked for next release. The old proof still covered Behind You, but I've added your extra proof to the collection too; thanks.

-- Simon

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2018, 02:55:02 AM »
I finished Humane.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #223 on: July 16, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
Nice!

Everything looks very much intended. In particular, Square Dancing is intended (last year, we had a backroute here).

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2018, 03:40:48 PM »
A bit aesthetically improved version of "Time is Running Out".

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2020, 05:26:37 AM »
Here you go.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2020, 05:31:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing the replay. Your replay entails the core mechanic with a clever twist in a side point compared to the replay from the proof collection. To me it looks like an acceptable alternative route.

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2020, 10:41:35 AM »
I'm still stuck on this one... I feel like I have the general idea, but I'm not sure, and I don't want to ruin the challenge by watching a replay...

I feel like the general idea is thaaaat:

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »
Liebatron, you are on the right track.

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2020, 12:24:05 AM »
Got it! This is a good level.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2020, 03:46:28 AM »
Although the solution is crafty, there are less hectic ways to solve it, was quite amusing to watch. I would see it as another alternative route.

Unfortunately Clam isn't active anymore for quite a while.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 05, 2021, 12:14:58 PM »
Rough ideas how to implement Interval Training and Fill the Floor in Lix. Probably better and more elegantly implementable but a first draft.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2021, 11:46:32 AM »
Attempted fix to Chaos Theory, if included should be in Outtakes.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2021, 12:08:06 PM »
Thanks, will include in 0.9.39!

-- Simon