Author Topic: [Lemmings 2] What skills can't you live without for gold?  (Read 27494 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings 2: What skills can't you live without for gold?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
Good work on Egyptian 8 no-fencer, I might've overlooked it myself if you haven't pointed out the possibility.

As for Egyptian 7, no stomper is confirmed possible:

Quote from: hint
If you get someone down there to laser quick enough and laser as left as possible (also make sure the lasering lemming himself is facing left), with some luck in timing, only 3 lemmings will end up heading to the right of the sphinx below the entrance, allowing you to use the remaining non-stomper skills to get those 3 lemmings out of that area.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 09:46:50 AM »
Outdoor 8: Evidently it's only platformers, question is how many. I concieved a solution using only 3 of them, sadly it runs out of time, so no result yet.

Well, I haven't seen any updates on this for a while, so I'm going to put in a result I can confirm at this point, a 4-platformer solution.  I actually still haven't even quite figured out yet what your 3-platformer attempt-solution is, out of time or not. :XD: (Interestingly, my 4-platformer also takes up most of the clock, with less than 20 seconds left when finished.)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »
Vaguely remembering my 3-platformer attempt, I had another go at it, and it's a lot easier to execute that what I remembered, but still runs short of time (but now about 5 seconds instead of a minute or so, from what I recall). Here's a brief outline, perhaps you can improve on it:

Wait for everyone to be out, then have the attractor fence, and have someone bomb before falling off the edge. The entire crowd but one should be flung over both gaps. When reaching the pit in the way upwards, have one lemmings stomp 3px below the local peak, while going downwards. After one stomp, platform. Remaining should be a 5 pixel high step with a pixel at the top so that the climber won't be able to surpass it. Climb/slide the hero, and scoop leftwards down to the crowd (can also use the fencer in addition). The crowd is still contained in the pit with the platform, but scooping will lower the ledge so they can step out. Platform over the scooper gap with a single separated lemming (the former stomper) at the top, while attracting the crowd for a while. Free the attractor with a fencer, fence through the mushroom platform before the exit and watch the screen fade out barely before the lemmings enter the exit.

Does fast forwarding at the end actually give a timing advantage while the screen fades out, like it did in Cheapo?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 01:48:36 AM »
Ah I see, so that's what I was missing; I underestimated the power of the fling.

Does fast forwarding at the end actually give a timing advantage while the screen fades out, like it did in Cheapo?

Using a test level I can confirm that yes, it does give a timing advantage just like in Cheapo.  But testing shows it only gains you about slightly more than 2 game seconds, so I think you'll need to optimize your solution a bit more still before the FF will help (if you haven't taken advantaged of it already).  I had a brief try at your solution and I'm afraid so far I'm not seeing much room for improvement time-wise (and I think you probably have better timing at it than I do at this point).  Good effort nonetheless.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 05:10:51 AM »
And here's the rest of Egyptian:

Egyptian 9:
  • The minimum skills solution uses two bombers, two bashers, three stompers, and a platformer.
  • Bombers are not used in the standard solution.
  • I've eliminated the platformer by following a path similar to the minimum skills route, but without the crawling (see spoiler).
  • I haven't found any way to reduce the stompers or bashers from the minimum skills solution, so the result is 2 bashers & 3 stompers.

Egyptian 10:
  • I posted a 9-skill solution in the minimum skills thread that uses only sand pourers, glue pourers, and the mortar, so all other skills can be eliminated.
  • Sand pourers can be eliminated using a minor modification of ccexplore's 7-skill solution (see spoiler).
  • One of the glue pourers can be eliminated (see spoiler).
  • So the result for this one comes down to just 1 glue pourer & 1 mortar.

Quote from: Spoiler
Egyptian 9 No Platformer:  Follow ccexplore's minimum skills solution up until the point when you assign the last bomber.  Instead of a bomber, assign a left basher, and the lemmings will get stuck in the space underneath the water.  Wait for the last lemming to come out, and make him jump before he joins crowd.  He should fall on a small ledge below; make him stack to turn around (to the right).  Now bash, stomp, and bash to get him to the exit.  Finally, release the crowd with a basher or a bomber.

Egyptian 10 No Sand Pourer:  The only difference between this and ccexplore's 7-skill solution is how you turn the hopper back to the right after applying the hopper glitch.  In this case, you simply need to let him hop down the pyramid and before he takes his last hop, jump him to the tall pillar on the left.  He hits it and turns back to the right.

Egyptian 10 One Glue Pourer:  Again, this is a variation of ccexplore's 7-skill solution.  Follow his route for most of the level, but do not make the leader a slider; instead make him a sand pourer on the piece of flat terrain to the right of the pyramid to turn him around.  Now let him drop down the gaps that you would ordinarilly glue pour over and give him some more sand pourers.  You need to get the sand as high as possible, and then make the lemming a rock climber so that he can climb back up.  Let him walk to the left and make him a glue pourer once he turns around.  The sand should prevent the glue from going too far down, so both gaps are covered with one glue pourer.  Now release the crowd with a mortar.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 01:05:46 AM »
Looks like I'll be too busy until the weekend to look into those levels in detail, but I was able to quickly spot a very simple improvement to your Egyptian 9 result (improving to 1 basher, 2 stompers) using a simple modification of my min-skill solution:

Start by stacking and jumping, to get a hero over the block near the entrance, while keeping the crowd trapped between the stack and the block.

Now you can eliminate one of the stompers by platforming over the entire pit where the trap is and bashing across the pillar, instead of stomping at the trap trigger and bashing underneath the pillar.  Alternatively, you can eliminate the basher you use on the block by instead using 2-3 stompers (plus possibly another platformer, depending on how exactly you do it) to clear the block.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 06:39:26 AM »
Ok, here's a better improvement for Egyptian 9.  I'm able to reduce stompers down to 1.  This is actually a solution based on the standard solution that goes across the water to get to the exit approaching from its right.  See screenshots and hints.

Quote from: hints
(hints listed in increasing details)
1) The stomper is used on the left side of the water.
2) Bombers are all you need for getting past the final steel block you encounter before the exit (to its right).
3) It'd be nice to use the stacker on the right side of the water, but it'll turn out you need it on the left side.  This means you'll need to get up to the base of the pillar (above the steel it rests on) using only bashers.
4) While the solution might not necessarily depend on this, you should test out the details of how exactly the steel stops a basher, especially for a basher that's partially above steel.
5) You will need to assign a walker lemming a skill while he's close to another lemming already doing another skill.  Use mouse cursor placement to make it work.

Quote from: full solution
Similar to the min-skill solution, start by bashing through the block and then start stomping very close to the trap trigger (in fact, as close as is safely possible is preferred, like screenshot A).  After exactly 13 stomps, assign basher to a walker lemming standing at the very right edge of the stomper tunnel (but still facing right).  You can do this if you keep your mouse cursor as far right as possible while still touching the lemming (screenshot B).  Now wait for 5 more stomps and then assign stacker to the stomper, to stop the stomping at a specific elevation (namely 4 below the nearby steel block to the right) (screenshots C, D). Let the basher platform over the water, then have him walk back to join the crowd (screenshot D).

Have someone in the crowd left of the stack bash to the right once nearly everyone is in the pit.  If you follow the exact timings given in the screenshot, you can ensure the basher faces right by assigning it just before the last lemming starts falling into the pit (screenshot D).  The result is screenshot E, where due to the quirky way the steel stops your basher in mid-bash, it results in a step that leads up onto the earlier basher tunnel.  (We might not need to do it like this, but having the steel stop the bashing like this does prevent the crowd from getting too spread out, as they would milling around a lengthening bash tunnel.)

Now as shown in screenshot F, have the front lemming of the crowd start bashing at the position shown.  This should later result in a lemming in the crowd overtaking the basher in mid-stroke, so that the overtaking lemming momentary steps up to the transient step created in the middle of a bash stroke (screenshot G).  Assign him basher and you'll have created the steps needed to get up to the base of the pillar (and above the steel) using only bashers (screenshot H).  Have a lemming in the back of the crowd bash across the pillar, jump down (see screenshot I for position to start jumping from), platform across the gap after he turns to the left, and finally use the two bombers to complete the path to the exit (screenshot J).  You have plenty of time to do this before the rest of the crowd catches up.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
It took some effort, but finally I found a way to eliminate the glue pourer and the mortar for Egyptian 10, leaving a final result of none for that level.  Both involve a new solution route which is explained in the hint (I will start by saying there's crawling).

For both the no-mortar and the no-glue-pourer solutions, the route to the exit involves getting the crowd to the bottom-left opening of the pyramid.  At that area, notice the 45-degrees slope of the ceiling.  Imagine the 45-degrees slope of a sand-hill placed immediately against the slope of the ceiling, and you should realize it's a great way to create a crawling trigger spot, allowing the lemmings to crawl up onto the sides of the pyramid facing right, where their walking eventually leads to the exit.

Quote from: no mortar solution details
This solution consists of 5 tasks, done roughly in the order presented below (some tasks may be best done at the same time):

[letters in brackets refer to screenshots you can look at]

A) set up lower left exit of pyramid for crawling:  use a shimmier and a hopper (a la ClamSpammer's hopper glitch) to get a lemming outside the pyramid [A-C].  He will end up heading left [E].  To prevent him from heading left all the way to oblivion, make him shimmy just before he falls off the left side of the pyramid [H, I], or alternatively, make him pour sand once he's on flat ground to turn himself around.  The latter method wastes a sand-pourer but is probably a better choice (despite not used in my screenshots), because if you make a mistake in the rest of this task, you can hop the lemming off the peak of this sand hill to reach the wall at the left, where as a rock-climber it will turn your lemming back around to the right.  Once the lemming is facing right, assign him rock climber for later.

Now use sand pourers and optionally some glue pourers to create the sandhill crawling setup described in the hints.  The screenshots [J thru O] show a way to do it using 2 glue pourers and 4 sand pourers.  However, it can also be done using just 5 sand pourers alone, or perhaps a little more forgivingly, 5 sand pourers + 1 glue pourer.  I think the 5 sand pourers + 1 glue pourer way may actually be better, because this saves you a glue pourer you can use for task E.  In all cases, make sure to let the lemming take one step up after each pour, to prevent him from being turned around by the sand he finished pouring (though as explained earlier, if earlier you did the sand-hill-on-the-left thing instead of shimmying to turn around, then I guess it's not as big a deal to get turned around here).

After your last sand-pouring, if you're lucky, the sand-hill will properly connect with the side of the pyramid allowing you to directly walk up to it to rock-climb it [screenshot O].  If not, then you should still be able to assign hopper to the lemming to hop him onto the wall, where as rock-climber he will climb up it.  Anyway, you're done with that lemming now, he'll be able to exit on his own.

B) Allow the crowd to get out of the first pit area:  you can use 4 sand pourers + 1 glue pourer for this.  Use the first 3 sand pourers to create a sand hill near the left wall of the pit, a sandhill whose peak is almost at the height of the bottom edges of the little squares on the pit's top [D-F].  Then pour glue to basically fill up the entire left side of the hill up to the height of the peak [G, H].  Finally use the 4th sand pourer to make the hill just high enough for escape to the left [P].  You may want to defer this though until you complete all the other tasks (so that the crowd's path to the exit is fully complete).

Although there may be slightly more optimal ways to escape the pit, the method above, particularly using the glue pourer, minimize the chance of having lemmings trapped in the area below the little square on the upper-left corner of the pit.

C) Allow the crowd to get across the next area:  just use 2 glue pourers [F-H].

D) Turn the crowd around so they don't head towards the trap to the right:  a single sandhill is just barely tall enough to block the hallway leading into the trap, if you start pouring at a pixel-precise location [I, J].

E) Get the crowd out of the final pit area:  the terrain is identical to task B, so again you can use 4 sand pourers + 1 glue pourer.  If you are out of glue pourers, you can also just use 4 sand pourers actually.  See screenshots [P-S].  Notice how without the glue pourer, there's a "hole" in the area immediately below the little square at the pit's upper-left corner, which for task B could result in trapped lemmings.  Together with the glue pourer making the final sand pouring more likely to get high enough, I'd recommend using a glue pourer on this if you haven't run out.

Quote from: no glue pourer solution details
This solution consists of 3 tasks, done roughly in the order presented below (although you'll need to actually need to start task B at some point while still handling task A):

[numbers in brackets refer to screenshots you can look at]

A) set up lower left exit of pyramid for crawling:  use a shimmier and a hopper (a la ClamSpammer's hopper glitch) to get a lemming outside the pyramid [1-4].  He will end up heading left [5].  To prevent him from heading left all the way to oblivion, make him shimmy just before he falls off the left side of the pyramid [6, 7].  Also assign rock-climber to the lemming.  Now use 5-7 sand pourers to create the sandhill crawling setup described in the hints.  Make sure to let the lemming take one step up after each pour, to prevent him from being turned around by the sand he finished pouring.  (See screenshots [10-15] for a pixel-precise example of how I did it.)  After the final sand-pourer, use a hopper to hop the lemming onto the nearby wall [15] so he can rock-climb up it to reach the side of the pyramid.

Save this lemming for task C as well.

B) set up a sand-hill (more like a sand-slope) at where the trap is, so lemmings can escape that pit heading to the right and down into the bottom of the pyramid:  you need a second hero lemming to handle this.  Like in task A, use a shimmier and a hopper to get a lemming outside the pyramid.  However, to prevent him from hopping left once he escapes the pyramid, assign him jumper (see screenshot [8] for the exact moment to do so) to stop the hopping, such that he will resume walking heading to the right [9].

Assign this lemming slider to allow him to head into the tunnel that's immediately below where the crowd is [16].  After he slides down the hole in the floor but before he release his grip and drops down [17], assign him shimmier to make him shimmy across to the right [18].  He will then slide down the wall he's heading towards [19]; after that, simply let him fall and he's now in the pit where the trap is [20].  Now use about 6-7 sand pourers to create a slope tall enough to allow him and the crowd to eventually escape heading to the right, where they can fall into the bottom of the pyramid [24].  [Your first sand pourer there obviously should cover up the trigger area of the trap.]

Note that this lemming will head to the exit via the same path as the crowd's, so make sure you have the crawling setup from task A ready in time for this lemming.  To prevent this lemming's slider ability from making him turn left back into the tunnel again when he comes off the right side of the pyramid, make him a hopper at the appropriate time [30, 31].

C) Once your rock climber from task A has move off the right side of the pyramid, make him pour a sand hill to turn himself around [22, 23], so he can head into the tunnel immediately below the crowd, where he can mortar to free the crowd [26].  To navigate around the holes in the floor, use hopper to jump the lemming onto the wall nearby so he can climb it [24,25].  You need to do the corresponding maneuver after he mortars [26,27], to lead your rock climber to exit the pyramid from the same tunnel he enters.  (You do NOT want your rock climber to take the path the crowd takes, because rock climbers cannot crawl.)

Once rock climber's out of the tunnel, he'll naturally make his way to the exit eventually, so you won't have to worry about him anymore.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »
Wow!  Those solutions (especially Egyptian 10) are quite impressive!  :thumbsup:

My latest area of focus has been the Highland tribe.

Highland 5:
  • The pole vaulter and builders are obviously not needed/
  • Platformers and club bashers can be eliminated by using builders instead.
  • The first jumper can be avoided by having one lemming build out of his holding cell and then club bashing through the bridge.
  • The second jumper can be avoided by platforming such that the lemming drops down onto the chain when he's done.
  • The final result is therefore none.

Highland 6:  The two laser blasters and the two ropers are the only non-movement skills available, and they all apper to be necessary.  All of the other skills (surfers, jumpers, hang gliders, and the ballooner) are avoidable:
  • Surfers & jumpers:  Not used in the minimum skills solution.
  • Ballooner:  Simply use a hang glider instead.
  • Hang Gliders:  See spoiler.

Highland 7:  I got this down to a single platformer in the minimum skills thread.  This platformer is avoidable by using a bunch of stackers to deal with the gap that you would normally have to platform.  Unfortunately, this solution can easily get quite messy, and the cannon pause glitch only complicates matters -- if you pause at the wrong time, it can easily ruin the attempt.  But anyway, the result here is none.

Quote from: Spoiler
Highland 6 No Hang Glider:  Make a lemming from the left entrance a ballooner while he is walking left.  Blow him to the right and pop the balloon such that he lands on the steel.  Use surfers to get past the two pools of water on the left and laser blast to free the crowd (make sure the crowd gets hurt upon landing).  The leader should stay significantly ahead of the crowd such that he can fire a rope to avoid the left trap.  Everyone from the left entrance should now be able to reach the exit.

Make one of the lemmings jump over the exit and fire a rope to the ledge above and to the right of the right trap.  Now let him walk up this rope and laser blast to free the right group of lemmings.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »
There hasn't been much action here in a couple of months, so lets see if I can get some started again.  Finishing up Highland:

Highland 8:  The four-skill solution requires two platformers, a basher, and a laser blaster.  The platformers are easily avoided by using jumpers instead, so I've got it down to 1 basher and 1 laser blaster.

Highland 9:  There's not much room for variation from the standard solution here, so it appears that 1 Icarus wings, 1 attractor, 2 flame throwers, and 2 platformers are all required.

Highland 10:  A three-skill solution exists using an attractor, an exploder, and a ballooner.  The 100% solution avoids the ballooner and exploder. and I've managed to eliminate the attractor using another solution (see hint).  So the result here is none.

Quote from: Highland 10 No Attractor Hint
One mortar holds the crowd back, while two lemmings go ahead.  If necessary, use jumpers to ensure that there isn't too much distance between these two lemmings.  They will fall in the water, but the first lemming explodes, "rescuing" the second lemming and sending him to the rock wall on the left, which he should get hurt on.  This lemming platforms 2x to cross the water, and then the other mortar is used to release the crowd.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »
Yeah sorry, I've been a bit busy lately with real life, and I figure what with summer vacation and World Cup happening, I'd leave the challenges alone temporarily if everyone's too distracted to work on any.  You'll note though that at least I'll keep the scoreboard up to date.

Anyway, I've taken a look w/ the latest levels.  Here's an improvement for Highland 9, which indeed turned out to be more tricky that appears if you try to vary from the standard solution.

Highland 9: no Icarus wings

See attached and screenshots.  Below spoiler explains in slightly more detail:

Quote from: spoiler
Use attractor to hold all but one lemming, who will float down and blast through the first wall it runs into w/ flamethrower.  Also make him rock climber.  Now when he's near the right end of the level, at the position shown in screenshot A, make him flamethrow the slope.  While flamethrowing, assign him runner and highlight the jumper in preparation for future skill assignments.  When the lemming starts running and reach the location in screenshot B, make him jump.  He will sort of "land" inside the ceiling, turn around (screenshot C), and then take a step up onto the ceiling over the top (screenshot D), from where you can jump him again (screenshot E) so he grasp onto the steel wall to the left as rock climber (screenshot F).

Once he's up top, he can jump over the exit so he can reach the place you normally get to using the wings and fanning, where you can complete the solution the standard way.

I also see some a potential no laser solution with Highland 8 (no, not the Tarzan solution), but it'll be troublesome and take some time to successfully execute... :XD:

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 04:02:44 AM »
I thought of that route for Highland 9, but I didn't have any luck trying it out.  Good job!  :thumbsup:

Anyway, in honor of the World Cup, I figured I'd take a look at the Sports tribe:

Sports 3:  The minimum skills solution uses 3 platformers, an attractor, and something to release the attractor.  The attractor can be eliminated thanks to the large number of jumpers, which you can use to hold back the crowd.  Also, the second platformer can be replaced with fillers, so I'm left with 2 platformers.

Sports 4:  1 roper appears to be necessary to create a path for the crowd.  Everything else is avoided quite easily.

Sports 5:  The intended solution uses three stompers, a jumper, and a filler.  The filler can be avoided by using the direct backroute, so this leaves 3 stompers and 1 jumper.

Sports 6:  ccexplore's 4-skill solution uses a fencer, a super lemming, a roper, and a platformer.  The super lemming is easily avoided, and I've also eliminated the platformer and fencer in separate solutions (see hints).  The result is therefore 1 roper.

Quote from: Hints
Sports 6 No Fencer:  A platformer holds the crowd back while one lemming goes ahead.  He has to platform the gap to the right of the exit and explode on the non-steel part of the ceiling over the crowd.  The crowd then needs just one well-aimed roper through the exploder's crater to get to the exit.

Sports 6 No Platformer:  This is quite similar to ccexplore's minimum skills solution, except that the fencer explodes at the far left edge of the level.  The exploder's crater sets up a place where you can set up the crawling trick with just a roper, although you'll have to use jumpers to delay the crowd so that they stay away from the blast radius.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »
Good job with Sports 6.  Now an improvement on Sports 4:

Sports 4:  1 roper appears to be necessary to create a path for the crowd.

Here's a no-roper solution.  Disclaimer:  due to its utter repetitiveness, I technically haven't confirmed it in its entirety, but I feel I executed enough of it (see screenshots) to show that it works.  This is just like the 3-skill Medieval 9 solution, where (discounting the hard-to-reproduce glitch of totally messing up the dragon) it'd take superhuman patience to actually execute.

Pay attention to the distribution of skills...  Yep, you see how tedious it would get?  Actually it's even worse than you think, as nearly every single one of those skill assignments has to be all done at pixel-precise locations.

Quote from: spoiler
First, the easy part:  using 2 shimmiers as jumper-substitutes, get the first lemming outside and left of  the entrance area (screenshots A, B).  This gets him well ahead of everyone else.  When he's about to fall to his death on the tennis racket, use a jumper (screenshot C) so he lands safely (screenshot D) on the higher handle part of the racket.

After he falls off the racket handle onto lower ground, and before he falls into water, make him dive (screenshot E).  He'll land safely just on the left edge of the checkered block (screenshot F), where he can platform to reach the exit (screenshot G).

Now, the repetitive part:  It'd be nice if you have 60 divers, then all you need to do is to make everyone dive down onto the checkered block.  But instead you have 60 jumpers.  But that actually works too, if you jump each lemming immediately after they get up from the fall off the racket handle (screenshot H).  Jumping from that position will allow them to remain facing left as they fall, landing safely on the left edge of the checkered block (screenshot I-L).  But unfortunately, you must do each jump at that exact, pixel-precise location; otherwise they will reflect off the wall on the left and end up facing right instead.

Oh yeah, sorry about having 60 lemmings in the screenshots.  Yes, I freely admit I hacked the save file so I have a "all levels unlocked" savegame letting me reach every single level (I thought I had an old savegame from ages ago that does have every level, but somehow it's been lost), and no, I'm too lazy to actually make the number of lemmings reflect reality (which would mean I think 57 or 58 lemmings maximum on any level past Sports 1).  Obviously this has no impact on the solution though.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 01:23:15 PM »
Having a little more time at the weekends, I managed another Sports improvement:

Sports 5:  <snip>so this leaves 3 stompers and 1 jumper.

I now have a 2-stomper solution.  (The 1 jumper remains.)

It's possible to use the filler to trigger the pouring lemming to crawl, up the left wall of the pit directly below the entrance trapdoor.

Quote from: detailed solution
1) Wait until the 4th lemming out has landed, then look for the next lemming to turn around at the left wall of the pit and has taken one step to the right (see screenshot A, time 8:52).
2) Pour at that exact position, and this will cause the lemming to crawl up the left wall of the pit after he finishes pouring (screenshot B).
3) Then let him take 4 steps forward before making him stomper (screenshot C), basically maximizing the width of wall he can stomp away. 
4) After he made his third stomp, look for the next lemming to turn around at the right wall of the pit.  At that exact moment (screenshot D; use the animation frame of the stomper as a reference), make the lemming jump to the left onto where the stomper is, keeping the mouse cursor as far to the right as possible to ensure you assign to the correct lemming (again see screenshot D).
5) Wait for the jumper to land and take one step, then assign him jumper again (screenshot E; use the animation frame and position of the lemming falling out of the entrance as reference).  In making that skill assigment, take care to keep the cursor position low, exactly as given in the screenshot.  If all goes well, you will jump the jumper rather than the stomper, and he will just barely get up on top without leaping too far left.
6) Now have him stomp away the remaining width of the wall (screenshot F), stopping the stompers with jumpers when appropriate, and you're done! (screenshot G)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 12:54:46 AM »
Good job once again!

Now to wrap up Sports:

Sports 7:  It appears that all four of the skills in the minimum-skill solution are required, which are 1 magno booter, 1 balloner, 1 laser blaster, & 1 platformer.

Sports 8:  This one unsurprisingly took a while to complete, but the end result was worth it.  Every single skill can be eliminated in separate solutions, which gives us a final result of None.  Most of the solutions are fairly straightforward, but I've provided hints and a spoiler for a couple of the tougher ones.

Sports 9:  1 Roper.  I shouldn't have to explain this one.

Quote from: Hints
Sports 8 No Fencer: Use the sliding trick to get up to the top of the tall steel wall that you would normally fence underneath.  The rest should be straightforward as long as you budget your skills well enough.

Sports 8 No Builders: This one was quite tough, as it requires you to be extremely conservative with the remaining building supplies.  I ended up taking an "upper route" by fencing to the billiard table to avoid some of the gaps below.  From the pool table you need just two stompers, a platformer, and a pole valuter (to stop the last stomper) to reach the exit.  Every single one of the remaining skills (except the builders, of course) was needed for the left side.  See the spoiler for the detailed solution.

Quote from: Sports 8 No Builders Spoiler
The first lemming stacks next to the protruding steel block while facing left.  When he has laid exactly six bricks, make him a SuperLemming and direct him to the small notch at the very top of the giant green wall on the right.  Make him an archer in this notch and fire an arrow so that it lands at an angle on top of the steel block that you stacked next to.  Now immediately make the leader a stomper; there must not be any terrain on the left side of his hole.  Make him a fencer when he is 3/4 of the way down the third large block.

If the fencer was started at the right time, he should go under the tennis racket and ball, and stop between the billiard cue and table.  Let him hit the table and turn around, and then platform when he gets back to where he started fencing.  When he goes back to the right, make him stomp right next to the billiard table.  The rest of the route to the exit uses a platformer, a stomper, and a pole vaulter, and should be straightforward.

Now you still have to free the crowd.  Make one lemming a SuperLemming and direct him to the arrow that the leader fired earlier.  Make him platform from the top of this arrow.  When he hits the pipe, fire an arrow so that the lemmings will be able to reach the top of this pipe.  Now go back down to the crowd and make a right-facing lemming stack right next to the first stacker's bricks.  Stop him with a pole vaulter after he lays three bricks, and the crowd should be free to head to the exit.