Author Topic: Which levels can be beaten without assigning skills to more than one lemming?  (Read 51877 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
The whole of tame is possible at 100%.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Taxing: No results yet

Well, I have results to report now for Taxing 1-10.  I would've reported at least 2 hours sooner if I could just post Lemmix replays instead of having to make screenshots and all that nonsense. :XD:

Here are the levels that I found impossible:

Taxing 2:  I fail to find any way to get across the water fast enough to prevent too many lemmings being lost on the other side of the water.

Taxing 7:  when your worker finishes all the building to the exit, there're not enough skills left for your worker to go back to release the crowd.

Taxing 9:  you don't have enough skills to get a deep enough pit fast enough to trap the 2nd lemming out.  Trying to quickly build right for a survivable drop also doesn't work (you can't make it fast enough for the 2nd lemming out).

Here are the levels that I found possible but non-100%:

Taxing 5:  similar to Taxing 9, there're not enough skills to get a deep enough pit fast enough to trap the 2nd lemming out.  But it's possible to lose no lemmings other than that one.

Taxing 6:  The only known 100% solution requires bashing through the top portion of steel on the right, which is only possible if you are no more than 5 pixels down from ground level.  But to prevent lemmings from falling off on the left, you have to dig down at least 7 pixels from ground level.  And there's just no way to go from 7 pixels to 5 pixels with the skills given and the constraints of the challenge.  My best so far is lose 5.

So in summary:  1,3-6,8,10; non-100%: 5,6

I've attached two zip files.  One contains only Lemmix replays.  The other contains screenshots and some text notes as well, for those who can't/won't use Lemmix.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
You don't have to make screenshots; I was just particularly interested in Tricky 20 and 27 since I had been trying to get 100% on those levels and was curious about what I missed.

I've added Crazy 4, 7, 11 to the list since the normal solutions to those levels meet my criteria.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Mayhem 1 is possible, but not 100%able. The replacement worker rule is not required, you can do it with the genuinely same lemming.

Quote from: Spoiler
The start involves building immediately upon landing. The second landing place is the only part where you lose lemmings, but if done as quickly as possible, you'll have the required amount plus one lemming to spare surviving the fall. Seperating the worker without wasting skills involves release rate manipulation to get him, over the course of two builders, to the back of the crowd - I used a digger at the end of the first builder to prolong the time given, too. Containing the crowd takes no extra work, due to the natural terrain, but releasing them involves a steel glitch - keeping the worker seperate is a simple matter of having him build over the containment area. The only real tricky point is that you must not waste ANY builders - you have none to spare.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here's Fun 27 100%.  There's a subtle trick at the very beginning which if you don't look carefully, you might miss.  Details below: [...]
There's also a 100% solutions that works for the sequel (Taxing 22).
Spoiler:
Uses the miner glitch from Havoc 10 in the beginning, therefore even the blocker is required.

EDIT: to carry on a tiny bit, Taxing 11 and 12 100% are trivial.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
You don't have to make screenshots; I was just particularly interested in Tricky 20 and 27 since I had been trying to get 100% on those levels and was curious about what I missed.

I know, I wasn't so much complaining as I was shocked at how long it takes to even make enough screenshots to fully supplement a Lemmix replay.  I think from now on I'm going to have to go back to the single screenshot idea.  You guys can PM me if you need any particular details explained.

Do you still need screenshots for Tricky 20 and 27, or is the text version of the Lemmix replays enough?  Here's a short summary:

Quote from: Spoiler
Tricky 20:  after you get through the first pillar, dig down to create a wall on the left to block the crowd.

Tricky 27:  there are ways to make a safe drop down to the bottom without using any builders.  Also if you dig on the top at the right place, due to the uneven terrain, you can trap the 2nd lemming out.  The rest is pretty much just the standard non-100% solution, except you'd use miner+builder at the two places where you'd normally use blockers, and you go release the crowd first before doing the last builder to the exit.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I've managed 88% on Mayhem 2. Maybe CC or Clam can improve on this to get that last lemming required to pass... although I doubt it. Still, so close...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:37:54 AM by Minim »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Do you still need screenshots for Tricky 20 and 27, or is the text version of the Lemmix replays enough?

Don't worry; the text version told me everything I need to know :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Oh, can Lemmix replays no longer be uploaded for whatever reason?  Good, looking out for Linux and Mac OS X users!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Taxing 11-20 is a case of "all or nothing". All can be done with 100%, except for 16 and 19 which are clearly impossible.

Re: Mayhem 2: It looks like there's no way to stop those lemmings falling off the screen, but I've found a plausible method of solving this that involves sliding in two places (and thus not having to bomb any lemmings). There seems to be enough builders to do this. I'll post the replay if I can get it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
o_O How the hell do you do 13?

And, while 20 is very clearly possible to pass, I can't see 100% being possible.

Also, add Mayhem 8 to the 100%-possible list. Apart from abusing miners for a fast dig at the start, and making sure to use the same lemming, it's pretty much just the normal solution. Replay attached anyway.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:39:17 AM by Minim »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• View Profile
13 uses the alternating miner/digger trick at the start. Replay attached.

For Taxing 20, you have to be a little clever at the beginning to avoid losing the second lemming, but beyond that it's easy.

Mayhem 2 looks like it's going to require varying the release rate to get the lemmings together in the same spot. This could take a while to figure out...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:40:38 AM by Minim »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Mayhem 10 is possible, but not 100%able (obviously, since even under normal conditions 100% is impossible).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• View Profile
The rest of Taxing:

21, 25, 26, 28, 29. All with 100%, except 28 (for obvious reasons).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
o_O I'd like to see how you did 21
My Lemmings projects