Author Topic: Which levels can be beaten without assigning multiple skills to one lemming?  (Read 41297 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Yeah, another idea I just got.
For this one, you may use as many skills as you want, BUT you may only use one skill on each lemming.

I've already done Fun, and all of them except 4 and 26 are possible.

*I have added any level which showed up in my previous topic as being possible with either Climbers, Floaters, Bombers or Blockers to this list, as well as any from the Minimum Skills that can be done with 0 or 1 skills, as these ones are obviously possible under this challenge*

Original (86 of 120 levels)
Fun: All except 4 and 26 (total: 28)
Tricky: All except 6, 12, 19, 23 and 25 (total: 25)
Taxing: 2, 4-6, 9, 15-25, 27, 30 (total: 18)
Mayhem: 2, 4-5, 7-9, 11-12, 15-19, 24-26 (total: 15)

Oh No
Tame: All
Crazy: 2-3, 5, 8-9, 11-15, 19
Wild: 1, 3-4, 7, 9-11, 15, 17-20
Wicked: 1, 4, 6-7, 13-14, 16, 18-19
Havoc: 6, 10, 16

Holiday
Frost: 1-5, 7-9, 11, 13-15
Hail: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10
Flurry: All except 8
Blitz: 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16

Revolution
4-4
5-2, 5-3, 5-5
6-6, 6-7, 6-8
7-1, 7-4
8-7, 8-8, 8-9
9-6
11-5
12-7
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Not a bad idea, Namida. But it's a pretty hard challenge to keep up with!
Anyway I solved the first two tricky levels. I'll update some more later.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Minim

• View Profile
This is quite a boring job to do I'm afraid, :( but let me tell you something. Remember your last topic was "How many levels can be beaten with only one type of skill?" well, the levels which can be solved using only climbers, floaters, bombers or blockers are known as possible levels, Do you see what I mean?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
And another group you don't need to test: any level with a death fall at the start will be impossible.

How are we counting levels like Tricky 11? It's clearly possible in theory, since you can choose a different lemming to build each bridge, but in practice you can't keep track of all those individual lemmings and make sure it really is a different one each time.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
How are we counting levels like Tricky 11? It's clearly possible in theory, since you can choose a different lemming to build each bridge, but in practice you can't keep track of all those individual lemmings and make sure it really is a different one each time.

Well, if Lemmix is used, the text version of saved replays indicate each lemming involved by number (numbering from 0, in order of when the lemming entered the level), thereby allowing you to actually verify whether you've truly used a different lemming each time or not.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I've been through Tricky 1-10 so far and have confirmed that only Tricky 6 ("Lemmingology") is impossible, obviously because you have only 5 lemmings and you can't solve the level with only 5 skills.

I've attached replays for Tricky 7, 9 and 10. 9 and 10 illustrates a general strategy that is useful for this challenge, providing you have enough spare skills.  The idea is to basically repeatedly hold the crowd, then release one or two lemmings from the crowd when you need them to continue the work normally carried on solely by the "hero lemming" (aka trailblazer), and quickly re-hold the crowd.  Repeat.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I can add the next ten levels to the list.

I already said that 11 is obviously possible and 12 obviously impossible. I have solved 13; the save percentage is low enough that the normal solution, except not restraining the crowd and allowing a different lemming to do each skill, is good enough.

15, 16, 17, 18 are obviously possible. Unless I've missed something, 19 and 20 are impossible, since both require lemmings to climb and then take another skill.

Tricky 14 doesn't work on my computer, but to make up for that I'll add the Mac's Tricky 21, which is certainly impossible.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I think that with very good use of skills, 20 may just be doable... 19 is definately impossible though.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
How are you supposed to do this without lemmix?  After all, Lemmix doesn't work right in WINE.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I think it's acceptable for those not using Lemmix to not worry about truly picking a different lemming, as long as it's reasonable to assume that it can be done (eg. you're just picking a random lemming off from a crowd of continually incoming lemmings, and you're not constrained to pick one as soon as possible).  The game's mechanics actually favor you in this manner, since if everyone under the cursor are walkers, the game always select the one who came into the level the latest, making it more likely that you'll be selecting a different lemming from one you might've used previously.

How about this:  if you believe you have a solution that should work but you aren't certain because you can't use Lemmix, just mention that fact when you report the result, and I'll try to confirm it for you in Lemmix.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Unless I've missed something, 19 and 20 are impossible, since both require lemmings to climb and then take another skill.

20 is confirmed possible, because there's a way for you to go underneath the one way wall instead of over it.  I've attaced the Lemmix replay and will try to create some sort of video for it later.

19 however I agree is impossible, unless someone come up with a way to get up the first step without using climbers or the builder.

Tricky 14 doesn't work on my computer, but to make up for that I'll add the Mac's Tricky 21, which is certainly impossible.

Ok.  But again, we need to keep separate lists for each version of Lemmings, and presumably we're doing DOS Lemmings/Lemmix at this point, so we'll need to do DOS's Tricky 21 ("All the 6's").  I haven't tried it but since it gives you 66 of everything and only requires 66%, I would guess it is possible.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I wasn't thinking of maintaining separate lists for the different versions -- just writing that level off because I knew no-one else would look at it.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
All of the "We all fall down" levels are possible.

Testing won't even be needed!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
How about this:  if you believe you have a solution that should work but you aren't certain because you can't use Lemmix, just mention that fact when you report the result, and I'll try to confirm it for you in Lemmix.

I can't use Lemmix Player (the editor half of the editor works though).  Now before Eric sees this comment, it's because Lemmix doesn't work on WINE!  So, if I submit the idea, Lemmix hasn't been used.  Although the one I just submitted doesn't require testing because of the solution involved.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I can see no reason why 21 wouldn't be possible, and 22 certianly is. I don't think 23 can be done though.

EDIT: And as impossible as it may seem, I just managed 24.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
20 is confirmed possible, because there's a way for you to go underneath the one way wall instead of over it.  I've attaced the Lemmix replay and will try to create some sort of video for it later.

Video is too much of a pain to do, so instead I decided to do text + screenshots from Lemmix.  See attached.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I've gone through the remaining Tricky levels not already mentioned in the thread, and have confirmed that all but Tricky 25 ("Cascade") are possible.  This means Tricky 14, 26, 27 and 30.

I've attached replays for 14, 27 and 30 (for 26, just use the solution shown in the Lemmings Encyclopedia).  The only one that took some slight effort to figure out is Tricky 30, due to the time limit.  27 is another instance where you go under the one-way-walls instead of over it.

When I have time later in the day, I'll try to update the zip files with screenshots etc. for those who couldn't use Lemmix.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that all levels involving making a long bridge that require 100% or nearly 100% are impossible -- that eliminates most of the early Taxings. The reason is that you need a new lemming to build each stage of the bridge, but once the first builder is finished there is nothing you can do to save him.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
When I have time later in the day, I'll try to update the zip files with screenshots etc. for those who couldn't use Lemmix.

Here're my text/pic solutions for Tricky 14, 27 and 30, with supporting screenshots whenever needed.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
How are you supposed to do this without lemmix?

Okay, I've come up with hacked versions of vgalemmi.exe (hacked versions renamed to vgalX.exe) for DOS Lemmings and ONML, that will enforce the no-more-than-1-skill-per-lemming rule.  See attached zip file.  With the modification, whenever you try to assign any skills to a lemming that has previously already been assigned a skill to, nothing will happen.

I'll hack the xmas ones later.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
If there's more than one in the same spot, and one of them has been assigned a skill, will nothing happen, or will it choose the next one?

By the way, so far for Taxing, I've managed to do 2 and 6. Replay attached for 2, I don't think it's nessecary for 6.

EDIT: and 9. Replay attached.

2 is nothing special (apart from a few tricks to seperate out a few worker lemmings), 6 is just the standard solution except with getting another lemming to be the bomber to free the blocker, 9 uses one move that could be considered borderline glitchy but is otherwise just clever use of skills.

17, 18, 19 and 20 are also all doable. 17 and 18 are a bit tricky but nothing special, 19 is obvious, 20 is pretty much just the minimum skills solution but with a blocker at the start.

Edit again: 22. You need a few clever tricks to turn the lemmings around (dig, and  have another lemming build from the far  side of the dig pits), otherwise, it's the normal solution. I *suspect* 23 can be done, but I can't be bothered trying, I hate that one. 24, 25, 27 and 30 are obvious.

EDIT AGAIN: I bothered trying 23. It's possible - JUST. One less builder given, or one more lemming required, and it wouldn't be. Replay attached.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
If we're doing Taxing as a whole, we ought to maintain a separate list of which levels are definitely impossible so we know which remain to be checked.

The rule of thumb I gave above, if I'm right about it, eliminates 1, 3, 7, 8. Level 10 is impossible for the same reason as its clone, 6 Tricky. My rule eliminates 11, 12, 14, 16, 21, 26. Level 13 is impossible because you need a climber to do other skills (no way under the one-way wall this time!) Same goes for 29. Level 28 is impossible because of the splat fall at the start.

That leaves only Levels 4, 5 and 23 in doubt. I suspect Level 4 is possible. Might Level 5 be possible by a "low route" without too many builders, since the save percentage is fairly generous?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
If there's more than one in the same spot, and one of them has been assigned a skill, will nothing happen, or will it choose the next one?

Nothing will happen.  This is by design--we don't want to create a situation where it's possible to assign skills to a lemming in the hacked game but never possible in the real game.  The new "already assigned" check is done at the latest point, after all other existing checks have already been performed, including those checks that end up deciding whether to select an alternate lemming.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I've just confirmed 23 to be possible. See my last post for a replay.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
My rule eliminates 11, 12, 14, 16, 21, 26.

Taxing 21 is actually possible in DOS Lemmings, due to some glitches that lets you remove enough steel to basically bypass the left flamethrower.  I've attached the Lemmix replay and will try to do text/screenshots later. 

I suspect Level 4 is possible.

Looks like it.  The way I would go about it would be to use bombers to create explosion pits on each side, and then bash from pit on one side to the other to bring both sets of lemmings together.  Then just build to the exit.

Might Level 5 be possible by a "low route" without too many builders, since the save percentage is fairly generous?
I would not go for the low route, since you'd need to repeatedly bash/build on those bars at the low route.  I think you'd end up using more skills and therefore sacrifice more lemmings.  For the high route, first seal up the gap (as if you were going for the low route) before building the bridges going up, that should minimize loss of lemmings at that point.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I see no reason why 4 would be impossible. Added to the list.
I'd like to hear a confirmation of 5 actually being acheived first, though. (While I'm far from the best player here, so it's probably improvable, the best I can acheive is 45%)
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Here's a surprise addition to the list:  Taxing 16 ("Mary Poppin's Land")

This is based on my 1-minute solution that involves using 17 builders to get close enough to the slope to fall safely, and then bomb the upcoming steep drop to make it into 2 barely survivable drops.  The steel can be bombed if you are at least 2 pixels horizontally away from the rightmost column of pixels of steel block terrain (normally you fall at the adjacent column, 1 pixel horizontally away).

Of course, not being able to use floaters at all add some complications, such as the correct order to do the bombings.  A blocker is also involved to temporarily hold back the crowd while the bombing is under way.  And because you need one builder to allow the bombers to be at the right distance away from the drop to bomb it, you also need to work out how to save that builder without making him a floater.

Replay attached, and I also included a screenshot to give you an overall picture of the solution.  I can provide more details later for people who don't use Lemmix.  But you really need to see it to believe it, and unfortunately it's too hairy to do on DOS Lemmings without a replay feature (so sorry, I'm not going to try a video in DOSBox).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Mayhem: I've managed 2, 4, 9 and (obviously 11). 24 is obviously possible, and 26 has been solved with only bombers meaning it too must be possible.

The only other ones I suspect may be possible, but can't manage myself, are 3 and 16. 3, I'm lost on but I just have a feeling it can be done, 16, my record is 86%.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
I worked through all the Tame levels and found them all to be solvable.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I'd like to hear a confirmation of 5 actually being acheived first, though. (While I'm far from the best player here, so it's probably improvable, the best I can acheive is 45%)

Confirmed.  It's yet another "controlled release of worker lemmings" level, with the additional strategy refinement of:

Quote from: Spoiler
holding the crowd in a digger's pit, releasing worker lemmings not from the crowd but rather from the steady stream of newly entered lemmings.

And it turns out Proxima's suggestion of going the lower route works out very well. :thumbsup: The advantages:
  1) You likely end up using less builders, which is an important ingredient with the controlled release technique.
  2) You don't lose that much lemmings going through the bars at the lower route.  When you build to span the gaps between the bars, the builder will automatically turn around after one brick, so only the bashers are sacrificed.  And you can get through 2 bars with one basher, so you don't lose that many.
  3) It takes less total time to complete the route, which is desirable given the main source of worker lemmings in my solution (see spoiler for details).

I'll post more details later for non-Lemmix users, but for now, here's the Lemmix replay and a screenshot.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Confirmed Crazy 2.

EDIT: And Crazy 5.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
24, 25, 27 and 30 are obvious.

It is certainly on the easy side, but I wouldn't exactly call Taxing 25 "obvious", at least not the same class of obviousness as something like Taxing 24 and 30 where it's just the normal level solution.  So I've attached a replay for this in case anyone needs it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Just as I was about to give up on it, I finally managed Crazy 8!

This one is DEFINITELY challenge-worthy. It took me ages just to get a basic idea (let alone work out the finer points), at least a hundred load states to actually execute (not counting the ones during failed methods that didn't work out), four entire restarts, and uses every skill except the bomber, still only saving the bare minimum percent. Uses some borderline glitchy tricks, nothing major.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
And Crazy 9 is done!

Still challenging, but a lot easier than Crazy 8.

EDIT: And Crazy 12! This one was rather easy.

EDIT AGAIN: And 13. This one was also easy.

LAST EDIT: And 14. This one was a bit trickier but still pretty simple.

Due to the 4 attachments per post limit I'll have to make another reply when I solve more.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Crazy 15 done. Another fairly easy one.

Crazy 19 done. This one  is a bit tricky to work out but once you've got it worked out, it's pretty easy to pull off.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Wild 1 is simple, Wild 3 is done the same way as you do it for a builder-only challenge (no lemming will get a chance to build twice). Wild 4 is pretty much just the normal solution, but taking the low road. Wild 7 is again, the normal solution. 10 can be done using the same different-lemming-builds-in-dig-pit trick as in Time Waits For No Lemming a couple of times. Wild 15 is a bit tricky, nothing special, I attached a replay anyway. Wild 17 is quite a challenging one, replay attached. Wild 18 is the normal route.  I suspect Wild 19 MIGHT be possible with something similar to the builders-only route, but I don't feel like trying right now.

So for Wild:

1, 3, 4, 7, 9 (this one is obvious), 10, 15, 17, 18, and maybe 19

EDIT: Forgot to actually attach the replays.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Mayhem: I've managed 2, 4, 9 and (obviously 11). 24 is obviously possible, and 26 has been solved with only bombers meaning it too must be possible.

The only other ones I suspect may be possible, but can't manage myself, are 3 and 16. 3, I'm lost on but I just have a feeling it can be done, 16, my record is 86%.

Seems like you're giving up on Mayhem rather quickly.  I can already add two levels to the list without doing any work, because the work has previously be done already.

Mayhem 15 ("The Fast Food Kitchen"):  the same exact solution I presented for its clone, Tricky 10, works unmodified here.

Mayhem 16 ("Just a Minute"):  the solution I presented in the minimal skills thread satisfies the criteria of the challenge

I haven't tried Mayhem 17 ("Stepping Stones") yet but it looks pretty solvable to me if you go the ceiling route.  Similarly, Mayhem 19 ("Time to Get Up") looks likely to me (who needs climbers when you can just build to the obstacle to let bombers reach it?).

On the other hand, I've actually tried Mayhem 3 for the past two days without success, so I've become more doubtful on that one.

Following Proxima's suit, here are a list of Mayhem levels I'm fairly certain are impossible for the challenge:

1 (splat start)
10 (splat start)
13 (too few lemmings available)
20 (I think your miner or your basher will be in danger of falling to the bottom part of the level, and then you won't be able to save them since you can't assign climber on them)
21 (splat start)
27 (you need to use at least one digger, but then you have no way to stop the digger)
28 (too few lemmings available)

Some of the levels not listed above may well be impossible as well, just that there are still one or two possibilities I need to work through to be more certain.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I've confirmed Mayhem 12, using the glitches mentioned by ClamSpammer here and here to go directly through the steel onto the exit.  I've attached a Lemmix replay but as you know, the steel-digging glitch being used doesn't work currently in Lemmix during replay, so it's only useful insofar as acertaining that I haven't assigned multiple skills to one lemming.  The screenshot together with ClamSpammer's description of the glitches involve should hopefully be enough for anyone to work the details out.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I'm surprised Mayhem 5 has gone unmentioned so far (unless I missed it) -- it's pretty simple, just the usual solution works.

EDIT: Confirmed Mayhem 17 (ceiling route).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Those Mayhem levels were the only ones I could manage, so I decided to move onto ONML.

Wicked 4 done. Not that hard.
Wicked 6 is solvable with only bombers.
Wicked 7 is obvious, since you're only given blockers and bombers.
Wicked 13 can be done with the builders-only solution.
Wicked 14 is very easy, I don't think a replay is needed. Ask if you /really/ want one.
Wicked 16 is also simple. Ask if you really do think a replay is needed.
Wicked 18 may or may not be possible. I certianly can't be bothered trying.
Wicked 19 can be done with the standard solution.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Havoc 10 is obvious.
Havoc 11 is another one of those "I think it can be done but I can't be bothered trying" ones.

The rest of Havoc is impossible, I think.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
Wicked 18 is possible due to the low required %
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
The rest of Havoc is impossible, I think.

If we judge by your performance on Mayhem, that's a rather presumptious statement to make. ;) :P

Anyway, I'm pretty sure at least Havoc 16 ("Scaling the Heights") is doable, because back on the old old forum I've presented a solution that doesn't use the climber.  You just use all your builders to build up to the exit.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
I should think Taxing 15 is possible. I've run a quick test of this, and there don't seem to be any parts where you have to assign a skill to a lemming that has just been given one.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
That's a good point actually, bashing and building are the only things you need to do (One or two lemmings can be blockers so that a lemming from the pack can build over it).

Offline Clam

• View Profile
Come on people, this isn't done yet - though, admittedly, it is quite tedious. You can add Mayhem 18 and 25 to the list. 18 isn't even difficult to do. ;)

I wonder if Mayhem 29 and 30 might be possible as well...

Offline Minim

• View Profile
I don't think Mayhem 30 is possible for whichever side you'll go, the lemmings will either be crushed up before you get to the left side, or fall off the edge when you head right.

Anyway, I am looking for an attempt to solve Wild 20 and Wicked 19 especially.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
I don't think Mayhem 30 is possible for whichever side you'll go, the lemmings will either be crushed up before you get to the left side, or fall off the edge when you head right.

I think you might have confused this with the "one lemming" challenge (and by the way, this level did turn out to be possible there).

Wait... now I know you've got this confused with the other challenge thread:

Those Mayhem levels were the only ones I could manage, so I decided to move onto ONML.
[...]
Wicked 19 can be done with the standard solution.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I do tend to find that I need to work more to make progress on this one, but I haven't abandoned it completely yet, just been paying more attention to the other challenge.

Here's Mayhem 7 (screenshot and replay in zip)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:21:21 PM by Minim »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
o_O NICE.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Which levels can be beaten without assigning multiple skills to one lemming?
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »
Umm... are you sure this project is finished yet? It doesn't look like a lot of Holiday levels are completed yet, even though there are only sixteen... :P

Offline Clam

• View Profile
Re: Which levels can be beaten without assigning multiple skills to one lemming?
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2009, 09:13:40 AM »
Yes, there's certainly more work to do here.

And finally, I have something of some significance to contribute to this thread. I checked all of Flurry and found only level 8 to be impossible. In completing level 10, I found a neat trick for building across gaps. If you've ever tried to make a 7-builder stack with a high release rate (like in ccexplore's one-minute solution to Taxing 24), you would have noticed that all but two lemmings stop building and turn back. Well, this works over distances too - rather than building on top of the first brick of the previous builder, you can start on top of a later one - as long as it has just been placed when the next lemming gets there. Often this will require a change of release rate, but in this case the default rate works nicely.

The end result is a solution that loses only two lemmings - and could possibly be improved to 1. Replay attached (as you'd expect).

Also attached is the replay for Flurry 16. It's not that difficult, but not straightforward either. And 13 isn't obvious, but it definitely can be done and isn't worth uploading a replay for IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:23:34 PM by Minim »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36:41 AM »
Is anyone still interested in this thread?

Anyway, Blitz 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, ans 16 are all possible. 5 and 9 are doubtful because of their high % requirements, but it's certainly possible to save a majority on 5 at least.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 07:22:13 AM »
Definitely still interested, just that I'm also interested with many other things that are going on in the forums. ;)  I last left off on Mayhem 7 and I was planning to work on Mayhem 8.  When you're done with the Xmas levels, feel free to take a second look at Mayhem and ONML again.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
Quote from: Clam
I'd suggest it's worth going back to the start of other challenge threads (when many posts were made too quickly for anyone to keep up with) to check for possible improvements.

This thread is clearly a great candidate to go back.  :-\ :XD: Here's the Mayhem 8 solution I promised weeks ago.  (If anyone's confused by the screenshot, look very carefully at the terrain again, particularly around the bottom of the one-way wall.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:27:06 PM by Minim »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Frost:

As well as 2, 8, 13 reported in the OP, 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15 are all possible.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Hail: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I suspect Wild 19 MIGHT be possible with something similar to the builders-only route, but I don't feel like trying right now.

Confirmed Wild 19. (One of my favourite levels, so I wasn't going to miss this chance 8) )

Anyway, I am looking for an attempt to solve Wild 20 and Wicked 19 especially.

Here's Wild 20, though it's just the standard solution, so I'm surprised it was missed earlier.

Wicked 1 is the same as the lose-1 solution, except for assigning the basher and digger to different lemmings (so you lose 2).

Havoc 6 is straightforward, but requires some luck with the miner placement, so here's a replay just in case anyone needs convincing.

And finally, here's Wild 11, using Clam's route through the steel.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 03:49:03 AM »
I'm having fun going through all these challenges (note; I'm not done with the other one, I just like to vary it up a little.

It doesn’t look like namida is here to update this thread but that’s not going to stop me from trying these out. 8) this is also a very fun and difficult challenge.

Lemmings Revolution:

4-4 Seafood Sarnie 22/25

5-2 Kriss Kross 23/30*
walk on blocker glitch

You can put a water lemming blocker on the lower ledge for the normal lemmings to land on and that way they can both go to the exit at the same time.
There’s only 1 other way I can image; if you block, bomb to create a hole and bash under the blockers, this would waste more lemmings.

5-3 Sargent Bash 100%

use an extra basher to stall to have one avoid the shredder.

5-5 One Way Ticket 47/50

This one was a lot of fun. I Solved it very differently from normal.

To get over the 1-way-wall, build up to it. Give lemmings floaters if necessary, then have one dig into it near the edge. At a safe height make a walker in the hole a bomber. The resulting crater will stop the digger and create and exit. The rest is pretty simple. The three you lose are necessary bombers.

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 01:05:08 AM »
6-6  “Two Sides to every story” 42/50

6-7 “Wood you Believe it” 45/50

I pulled the same trick I did on One way ticket. Block the water lemmings from entering the balloon. To get around the blocker; dig then have another bomb to stop him then bash across; he’ll stop when he comes out onto the slope.

6-8 Wheelbarrows of Doom 98/100

build up and over the top. Use two bombers to get through to the balloon.

7-1 Designed with Love 90/99

Once again, the backroute straight to the balloon is of course open. But that’s no fun for me.
I’m sure there’s numerous ways. Mine is; I brute-forced basically, using a lot of blockers. One lem dies on the first ledge. Let 3-5 lems come out then set RR to 99, and back to 1 for the last 3-5 lems. Block them upside down once to turn around and block the crowd in the area next to the balloon. Let two go first; one will steps down onto the platform in the middle (just above the gravity pad) dig him down, when the other one falls into his tunnel, near the bottom make him bash across. The digger will drown.
Let three go, block the one in the middle in.
 The very last one dig through the steps over the first chasm to take care of the weasels. Block upside down on the top-most ground to have one turn around and build over the upside down gap. He’ll empty the pool. By this time the basher will finish and fall into the pool. Now have the blocked lemming dig facing right; he’ll enter the pool and open the door for the crowd.
I have yet to try the crossed out solution properly.

see below post
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
EDIT: 7-1 – 94/100 confirmed*
7-4 – 24/25 (easy)  ---- I tried briefly for 100% but I doubt it's possible. There's not enough builders to build up to the ceiling (I think).

*(this method probably doesn’t save the most but it’s more fun than building straight up).
-set RR to 1
-build over first gap. 1 lem will die.
-the first builder has to die, so make the second one a blocker on the middle platform upside down
-set RR to 99. Wait until ~95 lemmings are out then set it around 20 to isolate the last few.
-make the last lemming out dig the steps away on the first gap; this takes care of the weasels.
-Make the second to last lemming bash when upside down on the steps going toward the balloon so that the last lemming will turn around. The basher will come out on the other side and be fine.
-let the very first lemming (who is near the balloon) fall off the wooden panels but block all the rest of the lemmings there near the balloon.
-that very first lemming should walk to a point past the gravity pad below then dig.
-the upside down worker (one that just turned around up top) builds over the pit. He’ll go on to flip the gate to drain the pool.
-the lemming digging will come out. You need to time it so he doesn’t come out too soon or he’ll drown. He’ll fall in the empty pool and flip that gate to free the way to the balloon.

the picture below shows the idea, however that take wasn't successful because I made some mistakes (if you notice the numbers)

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
^^It's 94/100 actually. I edited that already. I explain it here:

Instead of having the last lemming dig through the steps, make him build over the gravity pad. He’ll drown but this will let the weasels flip the gate in the pool. The timing is tricky though, you have to make sure the worker (who is near the end of the line of lemmings) gets to the gate to empty the pool before the weasels get there. Usually the first weasel drowns but the second can make it.

Also: 8-8 Take her up to warp speed Captain is 23/25.

It’s pretty simple; just use extra skills to stall lemmings behind the workers. Two lemmings must sacrifice to close the doors.

-Going the back route way would kill more lemmings as it takes more than 2 or 3 builders to get to the balloon under the steel.

8-7 Watch Out Evil About! 47/50

*see picture.

8-9 Bridges 49/50*
mine through acid glitch.

This one was neat.
-turn the RR on the green lemmings up to 90ish
-make 2nd green lemming blocker and the third that turns around builder, to save the normal lemmings. Only 1 normal lemming should fall and die.
-Meanwhile have the first green lemming mine through the acid to get to the switch
-A normal lemming should walk out in front of the builder before he finishes. Make this lemming a blocker near the lava.
-set RR to 99. After the green lemming gets to the switch, make a normal lemming a bomber at the base of the steps. His crater will be created near the blocker on the left and should free him.
--------
I tried to save more by bashing out the green blocker but it seems impossible. One step too high; you can free him but the green lemmings on the other side can’t get back up. Too low and you can’t free the blocker and the basher will stop and turn around.

I found that a lot of the levels from the single lemming challenge don’t work here and ones that didn’t; do work here. Not all the time though.
This challenge is also ‘challenging’ because it’s easy to forget and assign more than 1 skill to a lemming.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
9-6 High Dive - 33/40

The solution is similar to The undamaged solution. I actually forget it right now and need to go back and see it again for myself

12-7 Long and Winding Road - 14/20

These two are simple levels and could probably be improved. I’ll come up with the pics and explanations later, I had these written on my computer for a while and wanted to get them off.

this one I just did:

11-5 Something Fishy

49/50 (minimum)

It’s all pretty straightforward until the end. When bashing toward the exit, dig into the steel so as to compact all the lemmings so they can easily make it through the door which the basher triggers. He (the basher) can’t escape the area where the switch is so he’s the one you lose.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Bumping this particular thread because I have a question to ask:

Now that namida's recently made a new NeoLemmix gimmick called "One Skill", should we create a new challenge thread for it or should we stick it to this thread? I understand there are different mechanics to NeoLemmix (And by the fact that he's changed versions to Amiga too, rather than DOS). Without those glitches there may be some of these levels may be impossible, but I don't know which levels absolutely require glitch solutions to be solvable.

As for the question, I'd rather create a separate thread, possibly something like "NeoLemmix Gimmick Challenges" so that I can fit all of these gimmick solutions into one thread, if that's fine with everyone.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I'm afraid I'm rather pessimistic about the idea -- interest in challenges has largely died out as most of them have been completed, and I especially doubt you'll be able to generate interest in "the same challenge again but for NeoLemmix". However, if you have any interesting results to report on the original levels that are different from DOS results, please post them in this thread, though I won't add them to the original post.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
That seems kinda weird to make a challenge for fan made levels, since namida is right here in this forum and can edit the levels at any time.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I would say at least wait until the levels have been finalised. Doing them for LPII Bonus pack or Covox is probably fine. But yeah, there's not an overly huge interest in challenges, and 95% of gimmick attempts are either extremely easy or obviously impossible, though there is the odd interesting one, so I don't think a topic is worth it.

It should also be noted that there's a slight difference between this topic and the One Skill gimmick (even though said gimmick was quite obviously inspired by this topic); if you were to try to select the same lemming twice in this challenge, you'd end up with an attempt that fails the challenge (or if you used ccexplore's patched version, you wouldn't be able to select it a second time), whereas the gimmick would ignore the already-selected lemming and assign the skill to the next lemming in the priority order.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
I would say at least wait until the levels have been finalised. Doing them for LPII Bonus pack or Covox is probably fine. But yeah, there's not an overly huge interest in challenges, and 95% of gimmick attempts are either extremely easy or obviously impossible, though there is the odd interesting one, so I don't think a topic is worth it.

That's OK. I'm actually keeping my own sets of results on Notepad for this gimmick (along with the others) anyway. You raised a very good point about most levels being obviously easy/impossible depending on gimmick. That must be one reason why I whizz through most of those levels.

Anyway, to try and avoid this going too far off topic, I've found that Tricky 20 is impossible with NeoLemmix (The basher isn't low enough to bash under the OWW unlike DOS). I'll see if I can find any others.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Lemmings Revolution:

Iron Curtain

[requirement is 20/30]
Don't know why I passed on this one before; it's pretty simple. [see picture]
Set RR to 1 and dig near the beginning so they can fall left onto the water (water lemmings can fall onto water safley from any height). You should only need one blocker. Use all builders to get up to the large structure.  Use bashers to stall lemmings if you need to because while building some may fall to death.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
8-10 Walk The Plank or Join the Crew --
[impossible but should not be; because the game is stupid and has a glitch where building in a place that was once bashed through makes the builders steps vanish I had to cheat. If it wasn't for this annoying glitch it would be totally possible. See the "Glitches in other Lemmings Games" thread for more about this glitch. Duh--the solution to this problem is obvious, see below. :XD:

Basically, the part that took me a while to figure out was you can bomb through the one way-wall.
-Set both RR to 1 You can completely ignore the top lemmings.
-On the bottom, make a blocker to trap them in. Then use bombers to get through the wall. Build over the lava.
-At some point, have a builder seal the gap you made with bombers so 1 climber can get up and flip the laser to turn on the speed up pad. Mine through the steps to let them through again.
-As soon or shortly after the speed up pad is activated you must turn the RR (the bottom hatch) to 99. This is because whenever the weasel is released by the lemmings on top, he'll quickly trap the bottom lemmings in if they don't make it past the door there [right next to the one way wall].
-On the other side of the lava, make 1 bash at the steps to remove the top layer of terrain away underneath the teleporter. Block underneath your steps before the lava.
-because of the glitch you must place a blocker to the left of the teleporter (after the basher has cleared away the terrain) and wait for the basher to finish and fall off. Then you may build right into the left side of the teleporter*
-The rest is pretty easy-build/bash to the exit.

You may be able to save more by blocking up top but blocking around the speed up pad is tricky. A "speed up" lemming that enters a speed up pad will get slowed down again.

*you must go in this side. If you go in the right side they'll be dropped to their death.

in the screen shot I didn't think of the blocker/waiting until the bahser was finished so I had killed the basher. I also cheated and used blockers to bomb through the wall but time bombing is obviously possible, so this level is totally do-able, glitches and all!

9-8 Gravity's Pull

You only need to save the middle lemmings that are above the balloon. I'm sure there are numerous ways. My approach was basically a brute force method. You don't have to worry about letting any of the side lemmings die. Some keys things are:

-activate the bottom lasers first; these open the top doors.
-After that build over the gravity pad, have others dig through the builders steps so they miss the gravity pad but hit the ledge and don't fall to death. More than 1 lem must enter the teleporters there [one still needs to use one skill after going through the teleporter].
-On top, when they come out of the teleporters; wait till 1 turns around then dig so he'll hit the gravity pad up there; he'll eventually flip the switches.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
10-6 Going in All directions

-set RR to 80; after 1 lem comes out set RR to 1.
-Make the first build over the first gap, the second should fall and flip the switch before dying. [you should lose no more on the first gap]
-The next falldown the the lower platform, flips that switch and start building on the water as seen in the pic.
-put blockers where I have them. THen just keep building up to the thin platform. You can loose up to six.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
9-9 It's a Hard Life

-at the small group near the balloon, block then mine left.
-while the miners still going, get 1 lemming that turns around to mine right somewhere beneath the stone. There are two usable lemmings left from this group, you need both.
EDIT: turns out this isn't necessary; building right up into the (1) miner's tunnel only takes 2 builders.
So; you can simply mine left and that will leave 3 lemmings left to work from that group. This would also save more lemmings and builders since you don't have to block later.

-use those two to build twice at the shaft for the other lemmings, you have to be pretty exact, build so that the first hits his head or barely misses. The fall there should be barely survivable.
-free the big group using a digger
- when they get back to the miners tunnel (see pic) build up to it then block and build toward the balloon.
[I did it this way because the resulting hole the LEFT facing miner makes here is very hard to build into to.
-build over the blocker.

10-7 Rocket Science

Pretty simple.
-bash through the thing thing, then block to separate two on the left.
-one bashes, the other builds. Get them all out of the bottom area and into the empty tank before the weasels come to close the door.
-build up above the steel, bash or mine to the exit.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
10-10 Reduce and simmer
[saves minimum 16/20]

a little trickier then it appears. I haven't found a way to save more. (or keep the RR at 99)
-set RR to 1, block under the right most wooden platform so the weasel misses them. Let 1 turn around and make him a blocker somewhere to the left. The switch doesn't matter.
-have the second build over the blocker, the next lemmign should get turned around by the blocker. Only one lemming should go past the blocker and die; the first builder. The next builds and connects with the terrain.
-build left and make another a blocker somewhere there, build finally to the balloon.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
11-3 Bash Street Kids

screen cap indicates all the important parts. Not super challenging; but a lot of precise time bombing. This saves exactly enough!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

my last post was in 2014! Indeed last post of any kind in this topic! Feels good to get back to it.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
[not solved] 12-3 All-in comes so close. Only one spot where my solution requires a lemming to use two skills, I can't atm see a way to get any other non-workers over on that side to bash this pillar or to somehow turn the other around without building or assigning any skills.

-Hakuin Ekaku